Wheel Lacing Woes

thelowlife

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
After relacing my wheel a few weeks ago and attempting to true them the 40 year old nipples were too destroyed to get a decent tension on them to true the wheels within spec. I ordered new spokes from xs650direct.com part number #19-0051 which is "Spoke Set - Front 36pc. + Nipples - Bright Cadium Plated Finish
Fits: XS/TX 650's (1972-84) 19" Disc Brake Front wheel ".

I do have a 19 inch front wheel, with disc brakes, so the part should be correct.

After relacing the wheel with the new spokes it would appear that the 90 degree spokes were slightly too long. This wasn't my first time lacing a wheel so I decided to tear it down and re-do it because it may have been my own fault. After 4 attempts and the same results, I concluded I've been only having trouble with the 90 degree; they seem to stick out at least a 1/4 inch. I checked my pattern over several times and from what I can tell it is correct (note the picture of the wheel standing below does look a little weird because all of the nipples haven't been tensioned properly). I am unable to tension the 90 degree nipples they will bottom out the threads before even sitting properly in the holes

I understand the pattern; have used the Fong Brothers tutorial on xs650chopper.com. I have checked my patterns versus other laced wheels and have visually counted spaces between each spoke for the repeating pattern. I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with these spokes or can see something wrong from the pattern, before I contact xs650direct.com to get an exchange. I have done a search and according to others the spokes are generally shorter.. I found that they were much longer and had to loosen the neighbouring nipples almost, if not completely just to have enough space to get the spokes in.

Attachments

• IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5341.JPG
    IMG_5341.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5344.JPG
    IMG_5344.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 396
the more I look at it, it looks like you are 1 set of holes off(2 positions), put more of an angle on your spokes, imagine twisting the hub counter clockwise to give you the angle you need.

Last edited:
Yes, your pattern is off. Your outers run nearly straight to the hub, that's why they appear to be too long. You're 4 holes off with them at the rim. Two spokes right next to each other on the same hub flange should be 6 holes apart on the rim, yours are only two. Two spokes of the same type (inners or outers) on the same flange are 4 holes apart at the rim. You may have that part right but the outers are definitely set in the wrong holes .....

FrontSpokePattern.jpg

As mentioned, 2 spokes right next to each other on the same flange should cross right up close to or nearly on the flange. Yours are crossing about an inch down. Move the outers over 4 holes and that should correct that problem.

Each spoke should cross over 4 spokes. If you look at the pics of the wheels shown you will see the outers cross ove four spokes, yours only cross over two.
As 5twins says move all your outers over four holes to the right.
Leo

Back