Wheel Removal

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank everyone for being so helpful. It's nice to be on a forum that helps instead of belittles.
Ok, before I break something I'm going to ask. I need to remove my rear wheel, switch axle, and have a new tire put on. I have an '81 and the PO put the axle in backwards and too big of a tire. When I remove the wheel, as per instruction from manual, will anything fall out such as bearings or spacers? Do I need to remove these to have a new tire put on? I understand how to do it, just not sure of any tricks.
Thanks so much again all

Just the side spacers between the swing arm and wheel will fall out. One of the chain adjusters has a smaller hole on the outside it is normally on the chain side and only the threaded part of the axle goes through it. That might be why the axle is on backwards he might have the axle adjusters switched. No real tricks, remove the brake stay and brake rod before removing the wheel. Clean off any rust and a light coat of grease on the axle will make reassembly a little easier.

Before you take the tire off check for play in the wheel bearings. Swing arm in one hand and tire in the other and try to wiggle it. If there's movement, after you get the wheel off figure out if the movement was from worn bearings or a worn axle.

I'll show you one that's worn, rusty, pitted, grooved, bent, and otherwise decimated kthxbai.

Try that tire/wheel again after you correct the axle and adjuster it just may fit fine with everything aligned properly.

Got the wheel off.That tire is just too tall. PO took off a brand new Metzler to put on that Coker. It looks good, but no torque arm. I put the Metzler on and all fits fine now. The Coker is quite thick. The tread is 5.00, but the side walls stick out farther, thus hitting the arm. Thanks for all the help guys. One more thing, what is the best way to remove the clip link on the chain? I got it off to count it and replace it, but I'm sure there is a correct way, and since I broke it, obviously I didn't do it.

It had turned blue from heat. I didn't measure it but I'd suspect some wearing went along with that. Maybe not.

Got the wheel off.That tire is just too tall. PO took off a brand new Metzler to put on that Coker. It looks good, but no torque arm. I put the Metzler on and all fits fine now. The Coker is quite thick. The tread is 5.00, but the side walls stick out farther, thus hitting the arm. Thanks for all the help guys. One more thing, what is the best way to remove the clip link on the chain? I got it off to count it and replace it, but I'm sure there is a correct way, and since I broke it, obviously I didn't do it.

I use a large, slot screwdriver blade. Lay the blade straight on verticle next to the spread section of the link. Use the rivet on the next link as a fulcrum(?) and then turn the screwdriver. That gets the link moved back enough to now grab the solid end with a pair of needlenose and tap the bugger off. I kinda put it back on using the screwdriver too.

The way I remove it is just place one side of a medium needle nose against the post and the other against one prong of the clip and just squeeze. I don't remember exactly how I get it back on, but I remember that you don't have to expand it over both posts; just the last one:rolleyes: I think to get it on I put the needle nose on the closed end and the post. It should face so that the closed end leads when the chain turns counter-clockwise. That makes it less likely to come off accidentally. Insure that both prongs are under the lip on the post.

Back