Wheel Truing Stand

PunkRock

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I want to build my own Wheel truing stand. Is there anyone out there that can help point me in the right direction?

Unless you are going to do a bunch of them, right on the bike works well. Sport bike stands would be a good start on a DIY truing stand.

I welded up a balancing stand out of EMT a long time ago but really never used it again.

There was an article in the horse a few back on how to make one cheap. Brewdude did the write up check his website

Yep, Brewdude built a very simple one, but by the time I priced out all the materials, I went ahead and bought this one to replace the one I made a few years ago. This thing is NICE, and has all adjustable feet, bubble to make sure the stand is level, and an adjustable pointer. Well worth the money if you are gonna lace up a pair of wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...1635033QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

For the $59.00 i wouldnt waste my time id def just buy the one PUNK pointed out it looks like a nice piece !

Do you have the link for Brewdude s website thanks a bunch for your reply to my thread.

I trying looking for the issue last night but got side tracked. I do remember the bearings he used to make it were 40 bucks so.... 60 for a complete one sounds good. The question is how hard is it to true a wheel? Never did it. Wish I tried on my 64 spoke 21 conversion. But I want to do it for my shovel wheels

Another member (twinsrhot ?) posted about just clamping his swingarm in a vise at the pivot end.
In the classified a member is advertising a pile of them for sale.

I trying looking for the issue last night but got side tracked. I do remember the bearings he used to make it were 40 bucks so.... 60 for a complete one sounds good. The question is how hard is it to true a wheel? Never did it. Wish I tried on my 64 spoke 21 conversion. But I want to do it for my shovel wheels

Truing a wheel isn't that hard, it takes some time to get comfortable the ways to manipulate the wheel to where you want it though. I used to build all my own BMX racing wheels when I was 13, so if I could do it at that age, any normal person should be able to do it with a little time and patience. :thumbsup:

I also use an old swingarm clamped in a vise. I use flat washers outside both sides of the factory spacers on a axle I found long enough to span the swingarm width for front wheels. Seems like it is a SR500 or RD400 rear axle, but not sure.
Catch a good ol' Harbor freight sale on the dial indicator and magnetic stand. I use a pencil with one of the big orange erasers (they leave a light mark) in the magnetic mount for a pointer, and then the dial indicator for fine tuning...the eraser marks polish out easy on alloy rims.

It does take some time to get comfortable with it like Hugh said.
Maybe I am a normal person after all! LOL

I have a homemade wheel stand and use it all the time. I balance and true wheels with it. It doesn't have bearings on it but I don't see the need for that, the wheel has it's own. What I do see the need for is a way to clamp the wheel/axle assembly in place so it can't shift side to side while trying to true the rim. That stand with the bearings doesn't seem to provide that. Since I have no bearings on mine, it cost me basically nothing to make using some angle iron, a few bolts, and a square section of steel plate for the base.

WheelStand.jpg

WheelStand2.jpg

Some say the stock wheel bearings are not sensitive enough for balancing. How true that is I don't know.
Your looks very effective and easy to build.

Back