When checking timing with a light

Square Circle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Where exactly should the reference marks be showing up on the rotor when using a timing light? Does anyone have a pic or video of how to set these bikes with a timing light when setting up a pamco ignition? I am unsure of the rpms /idle speed and relation to proper timing mark locations.. Any good advice is well apreciated. I manually adjusted the timing with my points and i have a brand new pamco waiting to be installed.

At idle (1200 RPM), you will want the rotor mark somewhere in the "F'" range .....

IdleTimingPoints.jpg

At full advance (3 to 3.5K), you will want the rotor mark over at the unmarked slash, but never past it to the left (too advanced) .....

FullAdvancePoints.jpg

When you install the pamco, there are pretty good instructions on Pete's site. There is a photo that shows the position to fit it for a starting point. Then you can tweak it from there with your timing light.

Thanks you much guys.. I appreciate the pictures 5 twins. I dont know if its just me, but everytime i use the search feature.. i cant seem to find exactly what i"m looking for.

Back