When to Replace Valve Springs?

abyssmaltailgate

Greenhorn Mechanic
Reaction score
I pulled off the engine head the other day, and after wiping it down with acetone, I noticed all the valve spring had spots of surface rust. I know it's best to always err on the side of caution, but do y'all think I need to replace my valve springs? I have yet to remove and full inspect each individual spring, but like I said, it appears to be only surface rust and not pitted. There are no visible cracks or other damage to the springs. Could the surface rust be a result of me cleaning away the dirt and oil with acetone?

Additionally, I've surfed the forums and found a few opinions, but can anyone recommend a set of quality (possibly "high performance") valve springs? After order a couple smaller parts from Mikes XS, I'm wary about investing in some of the more critical components.

As always, thanks in advance! :D

Attachments

• 2016-01-28 15.44.11.jpg
    2016-01-28 15.44.11.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 2016-01-28 15.44.18.jpg
    2016-01-28 15.44.18.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 2016-01-28 15.44.31.jpg
    2016-01-28 15.44.31.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 268
The only criteria we used (aside from obvious damage), was spring "free length".
Those values are in the service manuals.

No knowledge of quality spring offerings. Need other members to jump in here...

That rust will never penetrate that spring steel enough to ever make a difference. After they are introduced to some heavy duty, high detergent motor oil......no problem. When cleaning parts that may sit for a while you could give them a light coat of oil then seal them in a bag until assembly.

Scott

Thanks mrtwowheel, I've been making sure they've got a light coat of 3-in-1 oil on them so the rust doesn't progress, but I've yet to remove the springs from the head... I'm working on drilling a welding clamp for that.

Back