where did this tank come from?

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got this tank with abunch of junk. My neighbor believes it may be worth something. I am looking to identify the tank. It has only a small dent on the top. Barely enough for a pinky finger.

Any idea of the age and worth would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Photo04.jpg
    Photo04.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Photo01.jpg
    Photo01.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Photo03.jpg
    Photo03.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Photo02.jpg
    Photo02.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 253
The width is 3 1/8 give or take. The hiegth is 6" and the length is 16" not including the tab. I'm wondering what you think it is from? It's small, looks like it came from a mini bike.

I got this tank with abunch of junk. My neighbor believes it may be worth something. I am looking to identify the tank. It has only a small dent on the top. Barely enough for a pinky finger.
Any idea of the age and worth would be appreciated.

Hi Gcraay,
Like it sez on Antiques Road Show "Well, in the right market - - - "
My best guess is that it came from one of Yamaha's 2-stroke dual purpose bikes.
If that yellow paint is the stock colour, perhaps the 250?
If I wanted it to put on a chopper, I'd go $50 on it.
Someone who knew what it came from and needed it to complete a build would go up to $100.
In either case, I'd open with a $20 offer.

Yeah it looks like an older enduro tank. What's it got for rust? How's the inside look? I gotta measure my frame as it's wouldn't be for my XS, and make sure that'll fit. But I'm diggin the style otherwise.

The inside does have some rust, nothing that a half a pint of BB's and a good salsa dance wouldn't take of. ( Shake shake shake) The problem is, you really can't see alot. The tunnel comes almost all the way up to the cap. I never really thought of using it. Maybe I'll drop it on the frame and see. It is small.

If it the fixing on the back has been welded on later I would say it looks like an SC500 tankhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-1973-SC-500-GAS-FUEL-TANK-USED-SEE-TANK-PICTURES-FOR-CONDITION-/360420080672?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53eab5fc20

Back