Where does my clutch safety switch hookup to

Xs650 bobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently built a 1981 Yamaha xs650s bobber and I cannot figure out for the life of me where the clutch safety switch hooks up to. There are no empty connectors anywhere. If someone could help I'd very much appreciate it. I also can't find it in my wiring diagram.

The clutch switch on a 1981 would be wired to the Starter Lockout Relay (aka Starter Circuit Cutoff Relay) . The SLR should be mounted on the right side of the bike, but one of the POs may have removed that relay.
Look for a relay with 4 terminals in its connector.

Look in the TECH section under wiring diagrams. The 1981 wiring diagram is shown.

Thank you for the reply. I will look as soon as I'm by it again. I don't believe there to be an unconnected connection but I will look. The clutch switch was hooked up before when I tore it down it just took me awhile to build it and I forgot where it went.

The 81 clutch safety switch pushes and clicks into the clutch perch on the handlebar, It's two pole connector mates to the main harness inside the headlight bucket, the connector is rather narrow and smallish. IIRC one side is black plastic the other side is green. The wires are black and blue yellow on both sides of the connector. Find it bottom center on this diagram. Black is ground, the blue yellow heads to the starter circuit cutoff relay.

81_-xs650h_sh-png.22986

That is how I kinda remember also gggGary. A jumper at the harness coupling will work if you are wanting to get rid of switch wire. Or at least it has for me.

That is how I kinda remember also gggGary. A jumper at the harness coupling will work if you are wanting to get rid of switch wire. Or at least it has for me.
Right. The connector on the harness is bright green while all the others are white. Can't miss it if it's there.

If you want to deactivate it, you can remove a relay under the right side cover and jumper the switched wires of the relay you removed. If you just jumper it in the headlight bucket the relay is always on, burning power and waiting to fail...

My safety switch has a block on the end where I would plug it into a connector. Under the right side cover, you said the relay is there. If I understand you right I can remove that relay and not have to have this safety switch at all and still get spark?

My safety switch has a block on the end where I would plug it into a connector. Under the right side cover, you said the relay is there. If I understand you right I can remove that relay and not have to have this safety switch at all and still get spark?
Yes, you can remove the Starter Lockout Relay, but you must connect the 2 red/white wires together to allow the electric starter motor to work from the push button. You do not need to have the clutch switch.

The SLR has nothing to do with the ignition system. It only does what its name suggests.

The relay we're talking about keeps the starter from working if the clutch isn't pulled AND the trans isn't in neutral -- if you can remember to not start the bike if it's in gear without pulling the clutch, you're safe with it gone. Half of the double relay below it keeps the starter from working if the engine is running -- you need that to disengage the starter once the engine starts, and to keep from killing your starter when you blow your horn by pushing the starter button :). The other half of it turns the headlight on when the engine is running. They know the engine is running by seeing power coming from the generator.

I don't have a electric starter anymore. When I made it a bobber I deleted the electric starter and from what I understand is if my clutch safety switch isn't hooked up I don't have spark? Is that true?

No it controlled the starter, nothing else in 81. On the 82-83 (8 pin TCI) clutch, sidestand and neutral control (kill) spark but you can just remove that connection and it will spark.

TCI safety wire diagram.jpg

Last edited:
No it controlled the starter, nothing else in 81. On the 82-83 (8 pin TCI) clutch, sidestand and neutral control spark but you can remove that (extra ground) connection and it will psark.

I think this is a corrected version of that diagram. Note the difference in the safety relay.
starter circuit.jpeg

Thank you all so much for the help. I unfortunately still have no spark. My grounds are cleaned and everything is hooked up. It was running before I took it apart so I know everything's good. I'm gonna test for power on the kill switch and go from there.

The ignition coil has 2 wires, red/white and orange. the red/white needs +12 volts the orange is connected to the TCI That re/white also supplies the power to the TCI so if you jumper from battery hot to the red/white it should run. After that that you need ot do the TIC troubleshooting this thread does a good job of TCI 101 http://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-troubleshoot-the-tci-ignition-system.24161/

Back