Where does the oil filter screw live?

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi folks. Hope you can clarify something for me.

I went to change my oil filter for the first time and have a question on what parts I should be seeing in the oil filter compartment.

I have the filter and the filter gasket, items # 21 and 22 on the diagram from my Haynes manual.

Should I also have parts # 23-26 in this same compartment or are these inside the sump?

If these parts are supposed to be used / accessible with the oil filter in the same compartment, then I don't have them which is a problem.

Regardless of where they may be located It seems that the oil filter element screw should be running through the middle of the oil filter etc. and that is not happening. All I have in that compartment are the filter and gasket. :shrug:

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 483
Yes,you should have the filter along with these bits...

9693736561_4f14d23305_b.jpg

9693734895_c31036b2d2_b.jpg

9693733213_d8a241145d_b.jpg

The second image would be the screw and ball innards, I'm not sure what they do, perhaps regulate the flow of the oil? I left mine as is,ans did not remove them.

Hope this helps

I went to change my oil filter for the first time and have a question on what parts I should be seeing in the oil filter compartment.
I have the filter and the filter gasket, items # 21 and 22 on the diagram from my Haynes manual.
Should I also have parts # 23-26 in this same compartment or are these inside the sump?

Hi JayR,
the rest of that stuff in the drawing goes in the sump but items 23 thru 26 are an assembly that makes up the pressure relief bolt that holds the filter in place.
Without that bolt to hold it in place the filter simply sits in the cavity with oil flowing around it instead of through it.
You should get one, I seem to remember seeing them in MikesXS.

Hi Airwolfe - thanks a million for confirming that the oil filter screw should be there. That's what I was afraid of. That part is missing from my motorcycle. Yeah it's like a pressure bypass valve or something - not a technical guy.

Flipping PO, I mean really. I can only imagine the issues that running the bike without this part may have caused.

I've been working on the carbs, removing rust from tank, and rebuilding the Petcock, so I haven't had the bike running for more than a 5-10 minutes. Im ready to fire it up with a cleaned up fuel and intake system. We'll see what engine work is needed next. :)

Do You have any tips on where I can get that screw assembly? I did a quick search on mikesxs but didn't see the part - May have missed it.

Thanks again.

Posted via Mobile

Hi JayR,
the rest of that stuff in the drawing goes in the sump but items 23 thru 26 are an assembly that makes up the pressure relief bolt that holds the filter in place.
Without that bolt to hold it in place the filter simply sits in the cavity with oil flowing around it instead of through it.
You should get one, I seem to remember seeing them in MikesXS.

Thanks Fredintoon and Airwolfe. I'll look again on Mikes. I only found the oil filter screw for the xs400..

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Airwolfie think your by-pass valve is set a little to tight, it would really have to over pressure to over come the pressuse you have on the spring, seem to remember it's supposed to be flush with the bolt face

Attachments

• 9693734895_c31036b2d2_b.jpg
    9693734895_c31036b2d2_b.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 354
Found the oil filter bolt on eBay. Used and looks good with the end screw in place. Hope the ball and spring are in there but for $4.50 including shipping can't really go wrong to see.

Last edited:
I see this is a dated thread but here I’m facing almost the same situation regarding my oil filter banjo bolt. This being the first time changing the oil filter I thought the the oil bypass screw was a locking screw for the bolt itself. You guessed it, when I removed the set screw the spring and ball came flying out landing on the garage floor. Fortunately, I managed to locate all the parts (normally items hitting the garage floor are lost forever) and reinstalled them back into the bolt. After a very extensive search from all available maintenance resources I could not find any information regarding the required setting for the set screw. So I position the set screw level with the head of the banjo bolt until I could confirm the correct setting. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
That's the standard practice, setting the screw even with the top of the bolt. Don't turn it all the way in and tighten it fully. Even though it's not tight, it can't come out because the head of the bolt pretty much rests up against the inside of the cover.

A small tip an old timer gave me years ago Mule after I'd learned about flying spring loaded parts is to
Take anything like that apart in a large or extra large size clear plastic bag to contain the flying parts and also see
what you are doing. Never forgot that one . I keep a box of Large zip lock freezer bags in the garage. They are the cat's P.J.'s for storing parts in as well and Just label them with a felt marker. Makes reassembly a lot less painful.
Especially on a rebuild that may take months or more. Jogs the old memory when a guy reads notes on the bag.
Hope this tidbit is helpful.

Back