Where is the fuse box?

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to track down my fuse box (if I have one). I have a 20a glass tube fuse that is in line with a red wire running down to the airbox. then I have an automotive blade style one in the airbox. I've got a not spark situation and trying to rule out any fuses.

Only the Specials had a fuse box with multiple fuses. The Standards had only one 20 amp fuse.

Should be one of these, hopefully looks better than this one, under the seat on top of the battery cover.

Attachments

• Yamaha XS650 Fuse box.jpg
    Yamaha XS650 Fuse box.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 4,880
The 78'SE had it's fuse box housed under the seat in a black plastic case directly on top of the battery. It is readily apparent. If yours isn't then it's not a 78 special or it has been modified by a PO. Good luck.

roy

Brian's a little quicker this morning.

These are the only fuses I've found:

lXMgyUJ.jpg

There is a two fuse box in the battery compartment but only one 20amp fuse is hooked up inline with the pos and visually looks okay. the other (10amp i believe) is clipped and connects to nothing.

LECxQzo.jpg

The fuse in the airbox is an automotive one. it looks fine as well.

oLwqSLk.jpg

Do you think this was once a standard that was made to look like a special. I noticed the gussets for the rear shocks are more like a standard. the angle of the shocks are more vertical that what i've seen in other specials.

Yes, that appears to be a Standard frame. The other "tell" is the loop that the passenger peg and muffler are mounted on. The Special frame just had a bar there. It appears you still have the 18" flanged alloy rear wheel that was stock on some Standards as well.

This is an in-line waterproof blade type fuse holder I recently got at the auto parts store for about $3 .....

zwhh00J.jpg

The original fuse location was under the right side cover next to the starter relay .....

9PRlOPt.jpg

Your positive battery cable should route through that oval hole in the frame behind the battery down to under the right cover. There should be a grommet in the hole to protect the wire from being cut .....

PTRyYVC.jpg

Your battery cable is also reversed. The end with the red lead for the fuse should bolt to the starter relay, not the battery.

Last edited:
Follow the cable down now as it is. Just flip-flop it, putting the end on the battery where the other end is now, other end on the battery. It's the lower left terminal in yours and my 2nd pics.

Yes, just like that. See that tab on the battery box above your yellow wire? That's where the original fuse holder hung off of.

Back