Where the heck is the Oil Filter?!

IamTheMarcus

Young & Dumb
Reaction score
Alright so, I'm unsure where the heck the Main Oil Filter is, I have the secondary filter out, cleaned it and is now ready to be put back in:
wJFThQJ.jpg

BUT IS THIS THE OIL FILTER?:
bGQek1A.jpg

Otherwise I'm stumped and would appreciate the help.
(I know this may seem like a dumb question but I've checked manuals and everything.)

Nope, that's the starter motor. The filter you are looking for is attached to the sump plate beneath the engine. Look underneath the motor and you'll see the plate. Undo the bolts and the filter wil come with it. Check for tears and remember a new gasket for the plate for reassembly

No, that's your starter motor, lol. The main filter is on that finned plate in front of that, the one with the front oil drain plug on it. It's held on by six M6 bolts.

Nope, that's the starter motor. The filter you are looking for is attached to the sump plate beneath the engine. Look underneath the motor and you'll see the plate. Undo the bolts and the filter wil come with it. Check for tears and remember a new gasket for the plate for reassembly

Although, for this new Gasket, do I buy it off MikesXS or something?

One more problem, the damn thing is like stuck on there. I don't think the oil ever has been changed in it's entire life. (Since it was built) Any ways to pry it off?

There's nothing to pry on really. Put the drain plug back in and come at it from different angles with a block of hardwood and a BFH.

Haha I got her off, oil spelt all over the kitchen floor, since I have my cycle in the house because it's too cold to work out in the garage. ;) Thanks for all the help guys.

I would order the gasket from your local dealer. They are still stock listed and will be cheaper once you think about shipping from Mikes. You can get both filters from them as well, although the sump filter is better purchased from Mikes.

I would order the gasket from your local dealer. They are still stock listed and will be cheaper once you think about shipping from Mikes. You can get both filters from them as well, although the sump filter is better purchased from Mikes.

Yeah, total comes out to about $70 including shipping. There isn't really a motorcycle parts place around here that I know off, unless O'reilys/Napa/Farm&Fleet would carry anything like that. Which I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. :/

Hi Hotdog. I believe you are a guru but the pdf manual you identify doesnt tell ne how to or where to find the oil filternand the pictures are so bad that they don't help either, unless you already know where these things are!

I've got Clymer and the owner's manual and am still uncertain how ro set about changing or cleaning the filter(s)

We newbies look to you guys for guidance.

Ive got the XS850, it's easy! Unbolt the filter housing, change the filter, replace filter housing. Now, on the 650 I can grope about, learn by discovery but with the wit and wisdom of you guys, a simple heads up would be really nice.

Regards

Chris

Ps

I've worked out the internal circuit of the Safety Relay. If anybody is interested, I'll draw it up and post it here.

I'd like to see it posted Chris. Even if I never use it, someone else may and informative resources should never be passed up.
I would ask that you start a new thread titled Safety relay schematic, safety relay circuits or some such so it will come up in searches.
If left in this thread it will/would be buried.

Re oil filter cleaning I use low pressure air and swish it round in old dirty gas that I use as a solvent cleaning fluid

Hi Hotdog. I believe you are a guru but the pdf manual you identify doesn't tell me how to or where to find the oil filter and the pictures are so bad that they don't help either, unless you already know where these things are!

There are two oil filters on the Yamaha XS650. One is accessed by a cover on the right side engine housing, the other is underneath. Both are wire mesh screens, and unless they've been damaged, you don't change them, just clean and reinstall. Check this thread for more information.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-change.26573/

Hi Hotdog. I believe you are a guru but the pdf manual you identify doesnt tell ne how to or where to find the oil filternand the pictures are so bad that they don't help either, unless you already know where these things are!

I've got Clymer and the owner's manual and am still uncertain how ro set about changing or cleaning the filter(s)

We newbies look to you guys for guidance.

Ive got the XS850, it's easy! Unbolt the filter housing, change the filter, replace filter housing. Now, on the 650 I can grope about, learn by discovery but with the wit and wisdom of you guys, a simple heads up would be really nice.

Regards

Chris

Ps

I've worked out the internal circuit of the Safety Relay. If anybody is interested, I'll draw it up and post it here.

Clymer Manual..........Chapter 4, Cylinder head and Lubrication System ...........Page 75.

I'd like to see it posted Chris. Even if I never use it, someone else may and informative resources should never be passed up.
I would ask that you start a new thread titled Safety relay schematic, safety relay circuits or some such so it will come up in searches.
If left in this thread it will/would be buried.

Re oil filter cleaning I use low pressure air and swish it round in old dirty gas that I use as a solvent cleaning fluid
Thanks for that weekendrider points noted
There are two oil filters on the Yamaha XS650. One is accessed by a cover on the right side engine housing, the other is underneath. Both are wire mesh screens, and unless they've been damaged, you don't change them, just clean and reinstall. Check this thread for more information.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-change.26573/
Hi michaelpthompson, this link is excellent thank you. So much better than pointing to a page in Clymer.

Back