Where to buy a new set of carbs

STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all!

So I have a 75 Xs650 and I need to get new carbs these things are on their last legs and this year I'm just gonna get new ones. Seems like Mikes XS sells a lot of really cheap parts does any one know where to get a good set of affordable carbs for my XS?:thumbsup:

There are plenty of options.
#1 Replace with a 76-77 or 78-79 set of BS38's. Both are a good upgrade. Both are linked carbs. This lets the carbs stay in sync better. These carbs fit right in your carbs holders.
#2 Replace with a set of BS34 80 up carbs. These are a good upgrade. They will need the BS34 carb holders.
All the Linked carbs use a single cable.
#3 Replace with a set of Kawasaki Ninja EX500 carbs. I'm in the process of installing a set on my 75.
#4 Replace with VM 34 or 36 round slide carbs. The VM's are a popular upgrade.
#5 Dellorto's are another option.
A bit of searching on this site will lead you to threads about each of these upgrades.
Leo

There are plenty of options.
#1 Replace with a 76-77 or 78-79 set of BS38's. Both are a good upgrade. Both are linked carbs. This lets the carbs stay in sync better. These carbs fit right in your carbs holders.
#2 Replace with a set of BS34 80 up carbs. These are a good upgrade. They will need the BS34 carb holders.
All the Linked carbs use a single cable.
#3 Replace with a set of Kawasaki Ninja EX500 carbs. I'm in the process of installing a set on my 75.
#4 Replace with VM 34 or 36 round slide carbs. The VM's are a popular upgrade.
#5 Dellorto's are another option.
A bit of searching on this site will lead you to threads about each of these upgrades.
Leo

Leo, you're comments are very timely for me, I have a '75 which have I believe the original carbs and I "assume" are BS38's and from what I've read I would be better off installing BS34's which I have a spare pair of. What I don't understand is what is the difference between the 76-79 BS38's. Thanks in advance.
Yamimoto

i have a 75 as well...in the process of droppin in a set vm34's as soon as get a new set of slides (these carbs were off of a snomobile 3.0 or 3.5 slides) new pilots ,mains and all the other lovely brass , yamamoto where's about are you in ontario...

i have a 75 as well...in the process of droppin in a set vm34's as soon as get a new set of slides (these carbs were off of a snomobile 3.0 or 3.5 slides) new pilots ,mains and all the other lovely brass , yamamoto where's about are you in ontario...

I'm in London.

They made changes in the carbs every two years, As in 70-71, 72-73, 74-75. You get the idea. Except for a few internal and external changes, these carbs are all pretty much the same. In 76 they started with linked carbs. This made tuning a bit easier.
The 78-79 carbs used a very different slide and needle set up.
In 80 they started with the BS34's.
On my 75 I used a 76-77 set as well as an 82 set of BS34's. The BS38's when tuned properly run very well. The set I have ran a bit stronger in the mid range to WOT than the BS34's. The transitions between the different circuits in the BS34's provide a smoother throttle response.
www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm is from a Dutch site. The pics help a bunch to id carbs. The written part was translated through a couple languages, So it is a bit tough to read.
A good read though.
Leo

They made changes in the carbs every two years, As in 70-71, 72-73, 74-75. You get the idea. Except for a few internal and external changes, these carbs are all pretty much the same. In 76 they started with linked carbs. This made tuning a bit easier.
The 78-79 carbs used a very different slide and needle set up.
In 80 they started with the BS34's.
On my 75 I used a 76-77 set as well as an 82 set of BS34's. The BS38's when tuned properly run very well. The set I have ran a bit stronger in the mid range to WOT than the BS34's. The transitions between the different circuits in the BS34's provide a smoother throttle response.
www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm is from a Dutch site. The pics help a bunch to id carbs. The written part was translated through a couple languages, So it is a bit tough to read.
A good read though.
Leo

Thanks Leo. Much appreciated. Will read it until I get it.
Yamimoto

Back