Where to mount a volt oh meter 1975 with PMA

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Where should I wire in a volt ohm meter right from the battery just the positive negative wires and run them up near the tach speedo to where I would like to mount the volt ohm meter It Would be nice to keep an eye on charging system even with the PMA (the volt regulator has fried once already and been replaced)
Thanks Mike

Do you use your phone while riding, GPS etc> they make a handlebar mount volt, USB charging port with an on off switch so you can wire direct to battery, use to charge phone even when bike isn't running.
71OYCwEGs0L._SX425_.jpg

search usb voltmeter handlebar for all kinds of them.

If you run it directly to the battery, install an on/off switch so you can shut it off......otherwise find a switched wire in your headlight bucket- switched as in it turns on with the key. Locate a brown wire and a ground. For any backlighting in the voltmeter, tie into a blue wire - same as the power for your gauges back lights.
OR
Spring for what Gary posted above (faster fingers), I'm sure there's instructions.......

I like what Gary suggested looks good and small enough too
Thanks guys

I wired mine in on the headlight wire. That way it comes on with the bike, and it is accurate. I've checked it with 2 different volt meters at the battery, they all match up.

That's a great idea! I (ahem) occasionally disremember to (cough!) turnmeheadlighton.......that would be a great reminder.

Lol, I got hassled one day going in to work. Going through the gate they have a sign saying turn headlight off, so I did. The guard thought I was riding a bike with no headlight till I turned it on. Then he made me wait while he explained motorcycles can leave their light on since "they aren't supposed to turn off".

If you run it directly to the battery, install an on/off switch so you can shut it off......otherwise find a switched wire in your headlight bucket- switched as in it turns on with the key. Locate a brown wire and a ground. For any backlighting in the voltmeter, tie into a blue wire - same as the power for your gauges back lights.
OR
Spring for what Gary posted above (faster fingers), I'm sure there's instructions.......
I don't suppose the have a 3 way bullet connector (my soldering skills suck )

That I couldn't say. I made the harness for my bike with no bullet connectors.
I'll have to go the nearest fleet store and compare wire gauges to see what stock is
I have a mission

I have a 3 wire voltmeter. I believe the +ve and -ve wires can be permanently connected direct to the battery and voltmeter will only switch on when power is supplied to the Power wire. I have not used this mode but instead use ignition power and tie the +ve and Power wire together.

Back