1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Wherein I either make a seat or a fool of myself, and also other things with the bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NashGTI, Oct 27, 2018.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I've pretty much run nothing but pods on my 650s for as long as I've had them (about 15 years). Yes, there can be issues riding in the rain, but mainly in very heavy rain and only when you come to a stop. The pods may suck some water in at a stop and the bike can start running rough and want to stall. But, once you're aware of this issue, you just blip the throttle and keep it running. There doesn't seem to be any problems once in motion and moving down the road. I guess the water just blows by then.

The UNI foam pods we use come in two versions, the black foam one piece and a dual layer version. The dual layer is nothing more than the plain black unit with an added red foam "sleave" put on it. I can't say for sure, but it's possible this version might be less prone to sucking in water. As you can see, I have a set installed but I have yet to be caught in the rain with them .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MaxPete and NashGTI like this.
  2. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

Got my tiny battery in today, and ordered a bunch of stuff to do the rewire last night. Am quite pleased with it, I actually initially thought it was an empty box on the table (my wife brought it in). I feel like I said it before, but I'm looking forward to getting that done.
    tiny battery.jpg
    Sitting is what I'm most concerned with in relation to the pod filters, I'm guessing that when in motion the legs will be enough of a wind deflector to keep them from getting too wet. When I ride to work the bike just sits outside though and I don't want to have the filters soaked by a storm then have the thing take a big gulp of water when I go to start it. Certainly appreciate feedback on the question.

3. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Nash,
    you sure that the charging system won't overwhelm that tiny battery?
    A plastic bag pulled over each pod filter when you park would keep them dry.

4. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

it's 9AH 135CCA so....probably not? Honestly hadn't given any thought to it and barring voltage regulator failure don't think it'd be an issue. Maybe I'm wrong?

5. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Nash,
    sorry, your definition of "tiny" is way bigger than mine. 9AH & 135CCA will certainly work on a kickstart only XS650.

6. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

Yeah, tiny as in physical footprint, not in capacitance. Really, even then only tiny in comparison to a normal motorcycle battery.

7. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

Something of actual substance today, made a tray to hold the new battery and finally cut the grab bar tabs from the back of the frame.
    20200216_144934_HDR.jpg
    First a comparison picture of the old and new battery, which doesn't do the change justice. I don't know what one of those stock batteries weighs but it's got to be four or five times what the new battery does. It easily made up for the additional seat weight just with the change to the lighter battery even though that wasn't really a concern.
    20200216_144803_HDR.jpg
    Tearing stuff off the bike. The electric starter hasn't worked since I got the bike, I haven't pulled it out to specifically check it but it sounds as though a bushing/bearing is worn out and the gear jumps teeth. It hasn't bothered me as the bike kicks very easily, but it still had all the junk associated with the electric start so I took the relays off. While I was at it I yanked the turn signal flasher. Turn signals are another thing I've never seen work on the bike, it didn't have front turn signals and moving the switch to the right caused both rear lights to come on. I've already ordered a digital flasher to go on with the rewire eventually.
    20200216_144835_HDR.jpg
    Beginning to work on the new battery tray, using just random scrap bits laying around. Normally I'd want something bigger to break the edge over but I can't be choosy. Also the lump of an original battery carrier in the back ground.
    20200216_170304_HDR.jpg
    There is the tray and hold down made and mocked up on the bike. I can fit another slice of foam between the battery and the seat when seat is down. The seat is hollow even up above the frame so there was room to work with, moreso than there would be with the stock seat.
    20200216_170331_HDR.jpg
    Showing below the tray with things in place. The bottom of the tray is roughly even with the bottom of the frame rails. Happy with this and happy that the spacing worked out OK. Opening things up would have been all for naught had the thing needed to hang below the frame anyway.
    20200216_182922_HDR.jpg
    There is the painted battery tray. It's not my best work but it works and that's all it needs to do. While the paint was drying I took the opportunity to remove the grab bar tabs and some of the wiring tabs from up by the air filters. Also fit the new front turn signals I bought last weekend, so I have running lights on the bike for the first time.
    20200216_184332_HDR.jpg
    Painted tray installed, and you can see where I chopped up the old carrier to steal the attachment points for the factory air filters. I didn't want to incorporate anything onto the new tray for them because the plan is still to go to pod filters. I'll have to work up something at that point to support the carburetors and have a plan for it when the time comes but don't have the stuff yet.
    20200216_184343_HDR.jpg
    Just got stuff crammed in there for now, it won't have to live this way for long though. Wiring stuff is already showing up so I'll get on with the rewire soon.
    20200216_184615_HDR.jpg
    Going back together to head home I can't help but think I'll have to do something different with the rear fender now completely. I was planning on at the very least modifying it to accept a fuse block and some relays to run the bike. It doesn't look right sitting in front of the frame hoop there. There is an amazing amount of wheel clearance there that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It's possible that it's simply due to the longer shocks but either way even with the rear shocks fully compressed there is probably inches of clearance. The springs are heavy enough that I can't imagine what I'd have to due to bottom the thing out though.
    I'm thinking more about the filters too, wondering if maybe I can get them close enough to the center line of the bike to keep the weather off them or if I really need a cover. The tabs from the original cover aren't the most aesthetically appealing things in the world and I'd like them gone. I can probably engineer something less obtrusive if I have too, but I'm also thinking about maybe something that just snaps over the outside of the filters themselves so it can be as small as possible. That'll be thought on more later once I actually have a pair of filters.

Also the bike needs a bath, and with that a good night to everyone.

8. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

Ordered filters and found a number, the new battery is less than a quarter the weight of the lead acid original. For some reason I think I remember the number 4 pounds from weighing everything a year ago with the seat change which wasn't including the section of rear fender removed. If that be the case then I'm definitely down, and things are becoming more centralized. I'll add some back in with changing the rear fender and adding the fuse block and extra relays but that shouldn't be too much.

9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

As I mentioned earlier, I've run pretty much nothing but pods for many years and never had any carb support issues. Just make sure you have the tin shrouds in place over the intake rubbers, they add needed support. Run without them and you might very well have support issues.

Your rectifier was originally located out in the open air for cooling purposes. It may not take well to being hidden and enclosed under the seat like that. You might consider upgrading it to a more modern unit. They don't look so bad and wouldn't detract much from the look of the bike if hung on the bottom of your new electrics tray in the open air. In particular, the unit from an XS400 or XS500 would be a good candidate. It was a more modern design, totally enclosed and not bad looking .....

[​IMG]

All that needs to be done to it is to change the connector block so it will match your original and your harness .....

[​IMG]

NashGTI, 59Tebo and MaxPete like this.
  10. NashGTI

NashGTI XS650 Addict

I don't disagree with the theory behind that what so ever, internally regulated alternators have fans on them for that very reason. My original plan was to mount the rectifier and voltage regulator under the battery tray for the purpose of getting more airflow to it in fact. I got to thinking then though, where it was originally mounted wasn't REALLY out in air flow, it was between the battery and the metal side cover. with the air filter blocking the front side of it. And then I thought "How big could the output on that alternator possibly be? and how much heat could that stuff possibly make?"
    It's entirely possible that I'll be forced to make a change in the future, but the tray isn't remotely air tight in the frame, nor is the seat air tight to the frame, nor is the rear fender air tight to anything really.....so there is in all likelihood moving air around there when the bike is moving. I actually checked the thing after riding today and using my finger gauge the regulator and rectifier weren't much warmer than the battery and tray surrounding them. Granted it was only 60F out today so it's possible heat will be a larger issue come summer. It's something I'll keep an eye on going forward.

gggGary likes this.