Wherein I either make a seat or a fool of myself, and also other things with the bike

Good job with the intake. I keep thinking I'd like to make-find a single large air filter to feed both sides. It goes hand in hand with a battery box-ectomy and lithium ion battery to free up the room.
Your wiring looks great too.
Honestly your tail piece was not exciting me, but as the bike comes together it's growing on me!
I briefly considered going to single air filter route on the basis that it will probably run slightly better like that than with the individual filters. The aesthetic isn't what I'm looking for though so I decided against it.

20200226_224418_HDR.jpg

20200226_224449_HDR.jpg

Here's how I left off last night. Got the front lighting connected, but have to cut back in to the running light wire to add a relay so I can connect the handlebar switch as park lights.There is a set of four wires hanging off the side in the back for the tail light but I haven't put them in a connector yet so they're just hanging there for now. All the fuses and the relays on the fender are connected at the fender and the alternator controls are largely connected, I have half a connector down at the brush connection. It's going to be a two pin with the wire from the voltage regulator and the neutral light switch and I haven't run any wiring for the gauges yet. The horn is connected and is actually noticeable now when you hit the button where it just sort of wheezed before unless the engine was turning about 2500RPM.

I stopped after connecting the kill switch to the coils, don't have the coils connected to the points or condensers yet. I'm thinking I should be able to start it tonight provided I can get home in time to connect the ignition bits and alternator before my kids have to go to bed. I was looking at the thing last night after cleaning up the garage and asking myself why I didn't put some paint on the frame hoop after welding on my fender tab so that's kind of annoying.

Something that keeps going through my head doing all this is just how small all of the factory wiring is. Stuff like the horn and headlight and ignition system just seem like the wire size is super tiny, all the metric equivalent of about 20ga where it seems like the current demands of those systems should require heavier gauge wire. I've tried to use heavier wire where it seems to make sense, but the built in wire in places makes it sort of a waste. Things like the pigtails on the coils, points and condensers and the handlebar switch gear are still tiny. Even the pigtails off the horn are that 20ga. I refuse to let the stuff I'm doing be a failure point though so it's getting bigger wire up to those points.

Last edited:
The wiring is done and I got to take it for a little test ride. I got the bike to the point where it would start Thursday evening and left it feeling confident it only had a handful more hours needed. I don't think I included this story but if I did bear with me.
Sitting in the garage Wednesday night working on the bike and my 6 year old came out and started asking me what the different tools were and how to use them. Then he said he was going to be my helper. I was real excited because I've got 11 and 6 year old boys and that's the first time either of them have shown any interest in actually working on mechanical stuff. So he's out there handing me different stuff for what was probably about ten minutes when my wife came out and asked him what he was supposed to be doing. He said "Good night Daddy" and went back in, he was apparently just looking to stall his bedtime.
I didn't leave work until 8PM last night so nothing happened then, I got back on it this morning and got the thing done. I was going to take some pictures of the finished harness installed without the seat or tank but ended up forgetting. Too anxious to be able to ride it again.
20200229_160953_HDR.jpg

20200229_173145_HDR.jpg

20200229_173049_HDR.jpg

Still had enough daylight left to take it for a quick ride around my neighborhood and fiddle with the carbs a bit. Still cold enough here in Nashville to not be great riding weather, especially after the sun goes down. Bike was running fantastic after syncing the throttle cables and adjusting the idle mixture and throttle stop screws. I don't know if it was because of the wiring or just a coincidence but the exhaust popping on engine braking wasn't there tonight, I had the throttle stops a little high at first too when I was riding though so that could've been the reason as well. I'm still thinking it's probably a good idea to go to the next size up on the main jets, or at least try it. It'll be a bit before I can remember to just use the turn signals now with this bike. You wouldn't think it would be that much a habit to ignore them considering even on my CBR I always use them, I'm just not used to thinking of them on the Yamaha though.
Weather is supposed to be into the 60's F tomorrow and as long as it stays dry I plan on riding for a while.

Your wiring skills are impressive. Very neat and organized, well done!
This is home turf for me, and nothing compared to what I typically do at work. Without going into specifics, I've got to rewire a truck now that was built by a TV series a few years back and it's the worst wiring job I've seen in 15 years of working on cars professionally. Just one example, there was a roughly 18 inch wire going from the park light terminal of the headlight switch to the instrument cluster and it was four different colors. It's going to be challenging to wire.

march 1 2020(1).jpg

march 1 2020.jpg

Rode for a little over two hours today. Bike ran flawlessly other than having to switch over to reserve by the time I was nearly home. No hick ups or poor running, and the electrical system worked perfectly. The off throttle popping is still gone so I think that is gone for good. It cruises a lot better and more easily now too. The engine feels smoother and it feels like it takes less throttle to hold 50mph than it did before, I'm still amazed/embarrassed to have never tried replacing the air filters sooner. One thing I haven't heard that I expected to was more intake noise due to the exposed filters but I can't really tell any difference.
I know from experience it's easier to make a vehicle worse by modifying it than it is to make it better. Even though I know I'm biased I can't help but feel this motorcycle keeps getting better and better. I do wish the clutch actuation was better so maybe that's something to look into eventually. It's time to just ride for a while now though I think.

View attachment 161069
View attachment 161070
Rode for a little over two hours today. Bike ran flawlessly other than having to switch over to reserve by the time I was nearly home. No hick ups or poor running, and the electrical system worked perfectly. The off throttle popping is still gone so I think that is gone for good. It cruises a lot better and more easily now too. The engine feels smoother and it feels like it takes less throttle to hold 50mph than it did before, I'm still amazed/embarrassed to have never tried replacing the air filters sooner. One thing I haven't heard that I expected to was more intake noise due to the exposed filters but I can't really tell any difference.
I know from experience it's easier to make a vehicle worse by modifying it than it is to make it better. Even though I know I'm biased I can't help but feel this motorcycle keeps getting better and better. I do wish the clutch actuation was better so maybe that's something to look into eventually. It's time to just ride for a while now though I think.
Looks great !
Glad you are having some success.

Two comments I have on recent posts.

First one, I would try to convince wife to let the kid stay up as long as he wants as long as he is helping dad. The stuff he will learn is well worth the little bit of lost sleep!

Second I was a bit worried about the wiring when I saw that first picture with wires heading all kinds of directions. But then once you finished the job and had everything wrapped up nice and neat I could see you really knew what you were doing! Nice job!

Great progress, especially with family, full time plus job, etc.!
Yes you may still face some clutch challenges. your bar location calls for a particularly short cable. I see a silver cable is that a original or a MikesXS cable? Both are suspects, LOL.
Clutch most often yields to painstaking attention to details.
A short list
Motion pro cable.
Cable lubed, till oil comes out the the other end.
Careful minimum bends routing. This often means creativity due to "not stock" handlebar location. Routing a "too long" cable smoothly is often key. Routed over the top frame rail, under the gas tank works on later tanks, not positive there's room to do that with an early tank.
Clutch perch pivot/lever. They are often just plain worn out. Correct for XS650 replacement or repair is a bit tricky.
Full clean, check, lube of worm assembly.

That was one intense tornado that went through your city last night, Nash.
So, how are you doin' ??
Everyone I know is OK, the tornado missed my house by about five miles or so. My sister was close enough to hear the roar go by, she lives on the north edge of a subdivision and the south end of that subdivision is now gone. Her son my nephew goes to one of the schools that is half collapsed. My wife's sister lives in the same area and said they have some property damage but nothing major. We're all feeling pretty thankful right now, there's are bunch of devastation around and they're still looking for some folks in some of the collapsed buildings.

Such a tornado event is another reminder that life is fragile.

For myself, I wake up every day with an understanding that this one could be my last,
so I will make the best of it,
and take a ride on the XS650, if at all possible :bike:
ride, ride, ride.

Last edited:
I ended up down in the area of Wilson county where one of the tornadoes went through this afternoon/evening, I didn't get through the cleanup areas obviously as to not get in the way. Just skirting the edge of it though is something, and something striking I wasn't expecting but coming back through the twilight there are fires everywhere of people burning what used to be trees and building materials and quite possibly possessions as well. Going through the east side of Nashville to get back to my home there is still no power in parts of what's called Donelson. The last I've seen they're saying it hit Nashville as an F3, went through Wilson County just east of Nashville just 1MPH shy of being an F4, and then was an honest F4 with 175mph winds in Putnam County.

Moving on to more motorcycle related news though, I ordered and installed a new pair of gauges.
new gauges.jpg new gauge lights.jpg
The tachometer had been broken since I bought the bike, a spot weld had popped holding the case to where the cable screwed in allowing the two cups inside to contact each other and grind up. The speedometer was increasingly bouncy when riding and had gotten to the point where anything less than 50mph it was mostly just a guessing game how fast it was supposed to be reading. Plus I figured it'd look stupid having one new and one old style gauge so I got the pair. It'll be nice riding home in the dark and actually being able to read the dials too, the old single bulb illuminations were practically worthless.

I'm impressed that you are able to focus on your bike work amidst all the devastation.
We're actually far enough removed where I live and work that even though we're only a handful of miles from the devastation, there is no damage what so ever and we never lost power. One of the amazing things about Nashville that everyone loves is the areas that have the damage were immediately inundated with volunteers looking to help with the cleanup to the point that they've been turning people away every day. I actually drove past a volunteer coordinator headquarters in Mt Juliet today and people were lined up around the building looking to find some way to help. So all I've really been able to do is donate what I can and we've tried to coordinate some giving to one of my sisters friends that lost everything.
I was like this with the May 2010 flood that wreaked so much havoc as well, though that was close enough I was able to physically ride a bicycle to part of the affected areas for a few days and help people strip houses, but people were coming from all over to help with money and supplies and just help clean up. I don't know how many places are like that, where I grew up people sort of shied away from tragedy though.

There was a mobile home parked here.
Mt. Jolet about 25 miles east of Nashville. Path of destruction kinda followed the freeway for 20 or 30 miles.
20200309_162413.jpg
Mom and a couple kids were in it but not hurt.
We did clean up and chainsaw work here and at the neighbors today.

Back