which carb rebuild kit

jaifresh

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you buy a kit, which I don't recommend, have you really torn into them to find out what you exactly need?
Kit's come with parts you don't need and missing things you do need. Or parts you need, but are for the wrong carb.

Both of those, by photo, are for BS38's (choke/enricher gasket). Have you looked into Mikesxs.com?

Read this 'til your eyes bleed, seriously. http://www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
You need to have a really good understanding of these carbs before messing with them.

Yup kits are for wankers,, buy what you need which normally isn't much the o-rings for the float valves are about the only gotta haves most of the time. IF a ham handed PO has been there before you all bets are off.
Proper sized screw drivers are the biggest "must have"

Actually, the BS34 rebuild kit from Mike's is one of the few he sells that contains all useful and correct parts. If you need or want all those parts, it's cheaper to buy the kit than get them individually.

The Mikes kit is good. I just bought a few. I also got a mix screw kit. This one is different then the last one I received though. It has the stock mix screw, but I got the non-EPA before.

Actually, the BS34 rebuild kit from Mike's is one of the few he sells that contains all useful and correct parts. If you need or want all those parts, it's cheaper to buy the kit than get them individually.

+1.

Just got done rebuilding 2 carbs with these kits and new jets, and everything turned out great.

What do you think about the 650central kit? Is the mikesxs kit better. I kind like the idea of talking to mike at 650central for some trouble shooting? If I don't buy a kit do you guys recommend the canadian needles for the 34's or do you think the non adjustable needles are ok?

I bought a pair of Mike's kits for bs34. I think the pkg. said they were Japanese. The consist of a new rubber pilot hole plug, a needle and seat, and a gasket. The rubber plug seems to be holding up. I haven't needed the gaskets. They look cardboardy, lower quality than the black oem maybe. Maybe. One of the seats had burrs on the back side of the hole, the other didn't. Look for burrs and get your microsurgery tools out. You might get the same identical kit from 650central. I think Mike's is the source for a lot of his stuff.

Yup kits are for wankers,, buy what you need which normally isn't much the o-rings for the float valves are about the only gotta haves most of the time. IF a ham handed PO has been there before you all bets are off.
Proper sized screw drivers are the biggest "must have"

Well....it would seem that all I should be asking gggGary on this thread is.....Where is the best place for a ham handed PO wanker to get his kits these days?

BTW....These go very well with ham hands (and others kinds too)

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm

Takes one to know one, ggg! Best, Blue

I needed the needles and seats, and it seemed wise to pay the extra $2 for the kit and have the gasket and plug as well.

Takes one to know one, ggg! Best, Blue
I got one of the bit kits from them but nearly all of the screws on the XS are #2
I bought 10 of the #2 JIS bits from mcmaster carr (thanks for the heads up 5twins)
I buy the float O-rings from a guy in Illinois that sells em for Suzukis For the most part things balance out and I use parts from parts only carb sets to rehab others. And have other o-rings sometimes needed from Mcmaster Carr Scored some Keystone kits on flea bay cheap that I use for BS38s. And I have used some parts out of 2 BS34 kits I got from mikes a few years ago. I made a little gasket remover from the stainless steel spine taken out of a windshield wiper and seldom need new gaskets. But most guys don't have tubs of carb bodies to scrounge from.

I can spot the work of two different po's on my bike. One was brilliant. The other used wood screws. I figure he's more recent.

section8joe,
The original needles can be shimmed if you want.
I think I remember gggGary saying he shims the needles on all the 34's to get rid of the off idle stumble instead of changing the pilot jet.

I do....

jet washers 005 (800x256).jpg

jet washers 008.jpg

Fastenall sells a bag of 100 stainless steel washers for some tiny amount like $1.50 I grind or file a small flat to clear the pin. This works for me, YRMV

I believe (guess) the function of the small "bump" is to keep the needle slightly canted against the side of the emulsion tube so it doesn't "rattle around" wearing away the soft aluminum.

I have used one or two washers, haven't done side to side comparisons to strongly recommend one over the other. Two washers is fairly close to the difference of one clip position on an adjustable needle. :shrug:

Gary, it would probably be better to place the washers between the clip and thick plastic washer, not under it. Then you wouldn't need to file one side down either.

Both true I wasn't brave enough to try to pull it apart......... I ruin too much stuff as it is but if you say so, it's coming part on the next set and going between, I like that a lot better, now I can stack to my hearts content!!!!!
So the plastic slides down then?

Back