Which Hardtail? (Living in Sweden)

ebb0tk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, bought myself an xs650 yesterday and have had a plan on hardtailing one for a while. Which hardtail is the most popular? im open for everything =) my taste is wide.. but it has too be more to the bobber look.
Hit me with info/tips&hints that i should have on my mind when converting this one, guess everything from the middle of the bike and backward has to be replaced/fabricated,
chain tensioner? bracket for battery? 'oiltank' for eletrics? well get me going.. im new so everything is useful to me.

By the way, im living in sweden so i need to have some paperworks with the hardtail to get it 'legal' here. That means on what material/tubes/welding technique etc.. has been used when putting it together. Does every hardtail come with that sort of info or am i limited?

best regards, Tobias.

The most commonly used hardtail is most likely the TC Bros version available here for $220.

http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/yamaha-xs650-weld-on-hardtail.html

While there are a ton of options for this, I can't imagine you not being able to find any information you might need on the installation of this particular model.

As for what you'd need to replace, you're pretty much correct. Your stock spacers and rear wheel will fit with this hardtail, but you'll need a new fender, seat mount, seat, battery box (if you choose to run a battery), and brake rod pivot. A lot of welding is required, the hardtail itself being the most critical.

As far as paperwork you may not need that. Typically a manufacturer will include paperwork (MSO) with a full hardtail frame, as you would no longer have the front section of your stock frame which includes the VIN number. In the case of a weld on rear section, the stock VIN printing is retained and typically does not affect the legality of the machine in any way. Your laws may vary though, I live in the US.

Best of luck!

monstercraftsman has voodoovintage for 200 bucks i was trying to figure up the shipping for you but probably will have about 100 in having it shipped i would assume

Thanks guys. Keep em coming and always like fast answers =)

Im having a regurly contact with a guy who 'inspects' these kind of tranformations..
And i must show somekind of manufacturing paperwork at the inspection.. in order for it to be legal here.. Kinda lot but well, ill have to deal with it =)

I wont be doing the welding myself, ill leave that one to a professional here in Sweden.

Ill check monstercraftsman.. Do you know if they provide any manufacturing papers with the hardtail?

thats something you would have to contact voodoo vintage about. they make full custom frames so maybe they do have that kind of paperwork with it. cant hurt to call and find out

Red a little about the MK21 and MK25.
You cant use stock axle/axle spacers with those or?
Would like to have it as 'simple' as possible. Tcbros look good too, and with that i guess you can use stock wheels axle and spacers etc.. anyone had some bad experiences with their hardtail?

but i could be wrong as i dont have my hardtail yet from them so if someone else knows more than me I am curious as well

I have been in contact with tcbros now, and they can provide all necessary paperwork to get it legal here in Sweden. Atleast thats what they told me =)

Would like to have some comments on few experiences with that hardtail though =)

IMO, TC's hardtail is very popular, which is good and bad. Good being its proven and inexpensive, bad being every second person is using one, not very unique. If it were me I would go with custom built either by yourself, or someone qualified in your area. Second choice would be Voodoo as they are a bit more unique and I'd bet that they can provide paper work for certifying the hardtail. My guess is that you'll still need some sort of paper work on the attachment of hardtail to original frame, as you'll be making that connection locally I suspect. This brings me back around to my first point. If you have to certify the connection between hardtail and original frame locally, why not just certify a few more connections and get yourself a custom built tail right in Sweden?

Allmond Cycle Design in England do a very similar one to TC Bros, would work out much cheaper to get it sent that via the USA. I'm sure they would be able to help with paperwork.

You also may want to ask yourself what stance you want. I have built close to 50 Hard tails and some were built around the persons size. TCB hard tail has a small stretch so does voodoo. I like both but I have also cut them up and put more stretch in them both. I like the universal ones so that I can lay out the height and length then again do you want a stock height or a cut down one. Here are a couple pictures for you and the Drop seat ones are the universal kits. I have done them for small guys and tall 6' guys.
KEEP CHOPPIN:thumbsup:

Attachments

• jay bk.jpg
    jay bk.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 301
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 266
  • xs650-chop-noid-100_0505-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-100_0505-587x440.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 248
  • xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 369
  • xs650orange.jpg
    xs650orange.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 252
  • drop_seat.jpg
    drop_seat.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 274
Yeah been thinking about the customs fees and all that and i think im gonna go and get it custom made here in Sweden, found a shop that does it for around 690€. Almost cheaper then it was gonna cost me to get a hardtail here and get it welded on.

Tobias

Yeah been thinking about the customs fees and all that and i think im gonna go and get it custom made here in Sweden, found a shop that does it for around 690€. Almost cheaper then it was gonna cost me to get a hardtail here and get it welded on.

Tobias

Hi Tobias,
So long as the builders guarantee they will complete all the necessary paperwork and get the frame inspected and licenced for you I'd say that was a total bargain.

Well all the papers are included to get it licensed, but i have to pay a few bucks more when i get it to the inspection..

Tobias

Factory metal works. Talk to Lucas. He was referred by Hugh from hughs hand built. Both guys in North Carolina. Lucas is in concord/ Salisbury nc and Hugh is in Asheville nc. Hugh can rephase your crank (YouTube him) and pamco Pete can work w you on converting the ignition to work w the rephase. Rephase is a great idea to remove 40% of the vibration.... When converting to hard tail I'm told this helps out a lot.

Back