Which marks with timing light?

ghosty

ghosty
Reaction score
Hi guys, just got the bike going the other day with new Pamco PMA and Pamco ignition with kick only and capacitor. Got her running with first kick, took it for a ride and it's running like crap. Time to sort the timing so:confused: have just bought a timing light...my question is which mark should I use at idle? I have 2 marks on my case which I scribed as per PMA instructions...one is TDC and the other .5 inch to the left on case is 15 degree mark. Does it have to be somewhere between the 2 and reaching the 15 degree mark at full advance 3000 rpm? I look at all the posts and I'm just confused.

It should be at the 15 degree mark at idle (1,200 RPM) and then advance to the full advance mark at 3,200 RPM.

I always recommend that you first run the ignition directly from a separate battery so you can test and verify that the PMA is working properly. If the output from the PMA is "dirty" because it is not being filtered by the capacitor, then that will of course screw up the ignition, PAMCO or any others, including points.

Back