which model seats fit the xs650?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I need a standard used seat for my 79 Special to replace the stepped seat but after months of looking on ebay haven't found a suitable xs650 seat yet.
Do any seats from other models fit like the xs750 ? or xs500 ?
Appreciate I might need to make some alterations to the seat base but that would be ok providing the seat pan fits the 650 frame ok

Last edited:
Peanut either have your foam re-shaped or do it yourself with an electrical meat carving knife. You cannot go wrong, you can always buy foam to glue on. A good ulpolstry shop could do your seat.

Posted via Mobile

thanks for the idea Tony but I want to retain the original seat for when I come to sell it .XS650's sell for over $2250 as a basket case for restoration over here !

The bike is completely original and it would be a crime to start hacking it about now after 35 years:(

. I could buy a used base and a new cover and foam and make my own but I'd rather just buy one ready to fit with a bit of tweaking if possible.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
. I could buy a used base and a new cover and foam and make my own but I'd rather just buy one ready to fit with a bit of tweaking if possible.:thumbsup:

That's not likely to happen. You need a '78 or '79 Special seat or '80 Special II seat. The models that share seats are XS650SE, XS650SF, XS6502F, and XS650G.

If your current seat is in poor condition, you could recover it with the step moved farther back and many won't recognize the difference. I'm one of those folks who appreciate the appearance of the Special. Folks like me might be harder to find on your side of the pond.

anyone got a XS750 ? will a 750 seat physically fit on a XS650 frame ?
I can find loads of 750 seats just no 650 seats

anyone got a XS750 ? will a 750 seat physically fit on a XS650 frame ?
I can find loads of 750 seats just no 650 seats

It will likely be too wide and too long, just as a guess. None of the bumpers, hinges, or latches are going to line up with anything. The XS750 has nothing in common with the XS650 other than the engineers having access to the same parts bins. You can make anything fit. It's a matter of how much work you're willing to do to make that happen.

SR500 aftermarket seat fits, it does require cutting off the hinges however.

20140909_160644.jpg

I think it looks way better than the original seat and it's surprisingly comfortable.

I want to do the same thing as the OP on our 80 Special II. I was just going either try to find another seat and shave the foam and recover OR just do it to our seat (but ours is in good condition and I hate to hack it up).

SR500 aftermarket seat fits, it does require cutting off the hinges however.

20140909_160644.jpg

I think it looks way better than the original seat and it's surprisingly comfortable.

That looks perfect Maurice

(gorgeous bike by the way :thumbsup:) Your picture has inspired me to finish off my bike and get it on the road !

Coincidentally I saw an advert today for hand made covers for SR500 and it said they could be adapted to xs650.
Your seat is exactly what I'm looking for . Its way better looking than most roadster seats for sure and I don't mind a bit of fabricating and welding now I have a Mig :wink2:

Last edited:
I want to do the same thing as the OP on our 80 Special II. I was just going either try to find another seat and shave the foam and recover OR just do it to our seat (but ours is in good condition and I hate to hack it up).

same here. My seat is like new condition and there is no way I'm going to cut it up.
Over there you have a huge amount of bikes and parts at good prices. In the UK everything is a lot more expensive due to scarcity and the cost of importing bikes to be broken up for spares

Hey peanut, is that the same size on the 1980 xs650 specials? there is a place here I found that has a warehouse of parts, just talked to the guy and ask if I could walk through and take a look, maybe I can find one for you.

Hey peanut, is that the same size on the 1980 xs650 specials? there is a place here I found that has a warehouse of parts, just talked to the guy and ask if I could walk through and take a look, maybe I can find one for you.

No. Only the Special II.

That's not likely to happen. You need a '78 or '79 Special seat or '80 Special II seat. The models that share seats are XS650SE, XS650SF, XS6502F, and XS650G.

He needs a Special seat that hinges on the side. Maybe that clarifies it enough. A standard seat does not fit.

wow that amazing info!:yikes: thanks guys

You lot sure have been busy while I've been snoring..ZZzzzzzzz:D

I just assumed that the frame loop for the standard XS650 and the Special would be the same but didn't know that the seats with side hinges were different for the two models .

Your pics show the differences perfectly skull. Your posts would make an ideal start to creating a permanent record of all the different seats and fixing throughout the various XS 650 models :thumbsup: I hope you didn't have to go to all the trouble of removing and refitting those seats . If you did I'm very grateful thank you

I now realise that my bike has had a later seat fitted at some point in its life. It was made in 78 registered in 79 in the US and imported into Britain in 2003.

I bought it with a side hinged, stepped seat which I think now is either 1980 pattern or maybe later.? I expect the original seat was too badly rotted.
I saw one of these for sale yesterday for over $500 !:yikes:

Attachments

• xs650 seat.jpg
    xs650 seat.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 2,250

Richard thank for your kind offer.:thumbsup:

Yes a 1980 or later seat will fit a 1979 frame because that is what I have apparently.
Unfortunately the cost of shipping to the UK would make it unviable :(

Wish we had a warehouse of parts in the UK:(

Attachments

• 13 mm spacers Standard seat on Special II.jpg
    13 mm spacers Standard seat on Special II.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 596
  • Standard seat on Special II 1.jpg
    Standard seat on Special II 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Standard seat on Special II 2.jpg
    Standard seat on Special II 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 531
  • Standard seat on Special II 3.jpg
    Standard seat on Special II 3.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Standard seat on Special II 4.jpg
    Standard seat on Special II 4.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Standard seat on Special II 5.jpg
    Standard seat on Special II 5.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 754
Peanut,

An 80G Special II, (Spoke wheel model), seat is hinged and will interchange with your bike.

An 80SG, (Mag wheels), and all other later models have a clip on seat and will not fit the 78SE/79SF/79Special II/80G.

Your seat has been cut down and a new cover has been made specifically for your seat. a couple of pics of the 80SG and 81SH and later model seats

Pics,
1&2; 80G Special 2 hinged seat. Same seat as should be on your bike

3; 80SG with a clip on seat. Notice it has a gentle rise to the rear passenger seat. These are conformable seats to ride a distance on.

4; 81H Special II with a clip on seat. New style of seat with a defined rise in the seat to the passenger seat. Uncomfortable because you cant slide back. Notice the difference to your seat.

5; 81SH. Same seat as the 81H.

6; 82 Heritage Specials. Same clip on seat with the shit step.

My seat looks a completely different pattern to the seats in your images ?
The seat pictured on my bike looks like an original unmodified seat .It is an identical pattern to one I'm sure I've seen in a poster somewhere . I'll try and find a copy to post.
Why would anyone go to all the trouble and expense to modify a seat so that it ends up almost identical to the original ?
I'll go and check tomorrow and take some pics of the base etc

Last edited:
Back