Which Pamco to order from Mikes XS

itrguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello I just picked up My first XS650 6wks ago. I have owned a couple crotch rockets and a bunch of MX bikes. Ok so I picked up a 1971 XS Bobber project and have been enjoying riding it and working on it. Ive had a few minor issues but thanks to this forum it was all easy! The bike currently has a HHB PMA, only a headlight and tail light, being a 71 its kick only. PO wiring was a little sketchy but very minimal which i like. I have been replacing things and wanted to order a Pamco system. I don't know exactly which one to order though... Should I get the Ultimate kit, basic kit??? Compression is good and bike runs pretty good overall. This winter I plan on going through the motor and doing a rebuild. I was on Mikes XS and about to add a Pamco system to My cart but wanted advice from You fellas on which system to order..? Thanks

I got the basic one with stock replacement coil and caps, and am quite happy with it 88% of the time it starts first kick everytime. I went with the basic because I hadnt heard it run at the time and am rephasing this fall.

You already have the mechanical advance, so you can use the same kit Reid and I did. Comes with the PAMCO unit, a coil, wires and caps. I installed it and a fresh set of plugs, and the difference is phenominal.

Some folks like to upgrade from the basic coil, but IMHO unless you're going to hotrod the motor (cam, big bore kit, air filters/rejetting, etc) I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks for the help, I ordered the Pamco Ultimate system with the advance because the advance on there now looks like crap, and what the hell why not? So is there anything special I should know about the install being that the PO already installed HHB PMA?? I thought I remembered reading that if installing both, you should install the Pamco before the PMA??? Again, Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help, I ordered the Pamco Ultimate system with the advance because the advance on there now looks like crap, and what the hell why not? So is there anything special I should know about the install being that the PO already installed HHB PMA?? I thought I remembered reading that if installing both, you should install the Pamco before the PMA??? Again, Thanks for the help!

I remember reading the same thing. What I took away from that was if you want both but can only do one now its the pamco and that the pma can wait a little longer. Please correct me if Im wrong

the reason for the pamco first is so you can utilize the oem timing marks on your rotor to set your timing. you need to set the timing of the pamco with a timing light. the pma doesn't have any reference for timing marks unless the installer put them on the pma.

Being able to set the timing with the stock rotor is convenient, but you also do not want to have two new systems on the bike at the same time, especially if you are going to use a capacitor instead of a battery. The PMA will do one of three things when you first start it up:

1. Will not produce a thing and with a capacitor you will break your leg trying to start it, but you can't really trouble shoot the PMA unless the engine is running. :doh:

2. The engine will start immediately and the PMA / regulator will produce a destructive 20+ volts, frying the entire electrical system, including the PAMCO. There will be smoke, but no fire...:banghead:

3. The engine will start on the first kick, the PMA will produce a perfect 14.5 Volts and you will never have to mess with it again.:laugh:

So, that is why I suggest that you wire the PAMCO to a separate battery and leave the PMA disconnected or even uninstalled until you get the engine running first so that if you do have a problem with the PMA, you can at least start the engine to troubleshoot it. You can also set the timing with the OEM rotor before you remove it, even if it is defective. :thumbsup:

The PMA has been on the bike for a while now. My Pamco will come this tuesday. Since it already has the PMA, do I need a degree wheel? I will be using a seperate batt to test set up system

It can be done without one. You can set it where it will start and move a little at a time until its where you want it, but if the rotor is not marked you will never know what its set at. I a degree wheel because I wanted to be able to set it at stock and easily adjust it, and the wheel was already in my tool box

Care to elaborate a bit more? The bike runs great right now,I want it to run the same or better after I install the Pamco.

Is there something I can do before I disassemble to install the pamco? any marks I can make on the pma or anything? I looked at the hhb pma tonight and sure enough the po didnt make any marks or anything. Like I said, the bike runs good right now, I just want to upgrade the ignition, and dont want a HUGE headache when trying to set timing.

Back