Which relay is this?

Maxx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was digging through my box of electrical parts looking for a voltage regulator for my basket case 650 and ran across this. Is this correct? If yes, the wiring diagrams indicate that there should be a green, black and brown wire associated with it, but I have a red, white and black wire going to the connector of the relay with a separate red/white wire. Which relay is this?

Attachments

• Relay 01A.jpg
    Relay 01A.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Relay 02A.jpg
    Relay 02A.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 236
That's not a voltage regulator. It looks like the safety relay for the starter and headlight.

Just the safety relay. The later that had the headlight relay had two small square covers instead of one larger rectangular cover.
The regulator looks kinda like it but has a round green tube down the side.
I have pics of the regulator and rectifier for the 70-79 bikes. I'll post them.
Leo

Attachments

• 70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 251
Thanks guys! I was afraid that it wasn't a regulator. Oh well, I guess I'll look at using an old auto voltage regulator for engine testing until I confirm that the rest of the engine is in good working order.

Thanks again for the help!

You don't need the regulator to test run the engine. The regulator is only needed to get the charging system to work. Just leave it unplugged. The bike can run for hours on just the battery.
Leo

It didn't even cross my mind to run it straight off the battery, but that's an easy way to test the ignition system and very straight forward to wire up. I learned today another valuable lesson...don't throw any old bike parts away until you've looked at them thoroughly. I found the voltage regulator bolted up to the old, half mangled battery box in a pile of junk. Maybe I'll get real lucky and it'll still work.

For 1970 to 1979 years, you will be much further ahead if you replace the old original regulator with an automotive nos VR-115 regulator. They are inexpensive and work great.

Thanks retiredgentleman. Ultimately, that is what I'm going to do, being that almost nothing about this build is going to be stock anyway. At least today I know that the coils and condenser are capable of generating a spark. The points are sticking and need to be replaced, but that's no surprise being that this engine has sat for probably 10 years without running.

In your repair manual you will find the test procedure on the regulator and rectifier.
Clymer page 38.
Haynes, page 119.
Leo

Back