Which tyres for XS2, original style or not...

eight0

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an XS2 which is by and large, a very original bike. It needs new tyres and I was wondering, in terms of resale value, does it matter to a potential buyers if the tyres are period correct or not?
I was thinking about the Bridgestone BT45 or the conti classic attacks but wasn't sure if I should get something even more period correct like the Dunlop TT100's.
Any advice is much appreciated!

The XS2 came with Dunlop K70's from the factory.

Some people who raced XS2's back then used Dunlop K81's.
They work well with the XS2.

Kinda of here-say but had a 71 back in the day, long before I knew ANYTHING, that bike damned near kilt me with head shake, wobble. There is a period Dunlop "movie" showing how ALL bikes (on Dunlops) were prone to weave or worse. I suspect that "period" tread pattern may have contributed, perhaps why the straight tread groove Dunlap was installed beginning somewhere in the 70's. So I guess my vote is for more modern tread pattern. I have Shinko 712s on the 79 "survivor" and kinda figure this type of bike is more likely to need tires based on them getting old than wearing out. Just a story I guess but I survived a bit of a harrowing nail puncture with a new Shinko on the back of my Road Star, kind of embarrassed, but that tire got me (mostly FLAT) about 60 miles at 80 MPH to the next "services" exit where I finally figured out why the bike had been handling "funny" then plugged it and finished 1200 miles of the trip. I expect to run that tire till it's bald.

I have Shinkos on all of my bikes. Shinko Tour Masters if the size is available. Shinko 712s if the size is not available in the Tour Masters. So, in general, 712s on the small bikes and Tour Masters on the big ones.

The Shinkos are a bit taller and wider than other brands of the same size, I have had no problems with that.

Scott

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input. Somehow I didn't have alerts turned on for my own thread so didn't know you all replied. I've spoken to a few people about this now and decided on the Continental Classic attacks. I think the fact that the bike will handle so much better outweighs the look of the original style tyres. They are expensive and maybe a bit overkill for a 50 hp bike but I've never been one to skimp on tyres.

I managed to get the conti classics for £190 the pair. The shinkos seem to be hard to find in the UK but the ones i have found are about the same price..

Back