Which years had ball bearning and which years had needle bearings in the head tube?

All the years of XS650 had the loose ball bearings in the steering neck. None had tapered roller bearings. The tapered roller bearings are a good mod. You can get a kit from several places on Ebay and most sellers of XS650 parts. Like Mike's XS, 650central. A few minutes searching and you will find them at a good price. All Balls is a good brand.
To use tapered roller bearings in the XS650 frame, the only way to get races that fit the frame is to get a kit.
Once you have the kit, install the races in the frame.
Now if the Kawasaki 636 front end has tapered roller bearings and the stem is the right length, then it should bolt right on with the Kawi bearings.
If the neck is too short then you will need to swap the stems. Then use the bearings from the XS650 kit.
Leo

No need to apologize!

Anyway.. wait until you get a set in there.. From then on it'll be one of the first things you do to any old bike that doesn't have them. So much better! I'm pretty sure the same set that works on the XS650's works on the maxims and SR500 too. I put a set in a maxim 650 and the box from another set said XS650 and SR500 on the back. They'll probably work on a lot of other old Yamaha's too.

From MikesXS: Steering Stem (Head) Bearing Kit - Kit replaces factory loose ball bearings & races.
Tapered Roller bearings have 10 times the contact area and less flex. Drop in
replacement for factory original type. Japanese made Superior Quality.
Fits: 1970-84 XS/TX 650's

Also fits: FZ400R 92-93, TX500A 73-74, XS500 B-E 75-78, XS550R K/J 82-83, XZ550R 82-83, SRX600 S 86, XJ650 Maxim 80-83, XJ650L 81-83, XJ650R Seca 82, TX750 73, XJ750 Maxim 82-83, XJ750R Seca 81-83, XJ750M Midnight Maxim 83, XV750 81-83, XV750MK Virago 81-83, XV750SE 81-82, XV920 RH/RJ 81-82, XV920m K 83, XV920 J/K 82-83, XV1000 81-82

Thanks so much Leo!!! Again all the advice is great. As soon as i get my donor bike im going to get the front end off check the stem lengths.

OK...so, I continue to be humbled at how stupid I am on this stuff...I don't like to do things when I don't understand because I have to do them twice and I have to spend more money. Help is appreciated.

Starting from the triple tree steering stem and moving 'up', here is what I think would happen on installation for a 1981 xssh, can you correct me where I'm wrong?

1. The dust seal (I bought new) slips over the triple tree stem and seats around the base, with the 'flat' side of the seal pointing 'up'.
2. The all balls bearing kit I bought were these. The seal in this kit will fit over the stearing stem with the flat side also 'up'. And when I say flat side, I mean like this picture.
3. Now the lower bearing goes over the stem with the 'cone' shape pointing up...like this picture. But...this is what makes me nervous...trying to 'slide' the lower bearing (the one with the larger ID) over the steering stem, it gets stuck...like stuck about 1 inch from the seal in number 2. I don't want to start hammering that down if it's not supposed to be forced.
4. From there, I assume I put the (maybe they are called) races into the lower and upper neck...remembering to notch out the bottom neck frame in case the lower race has to be removed in the future.
5. Then I insert the upper bearing with the 'cone' pointing downward.
6. Then I put the top seal over the bearing with the flat side pointing up.
7. Then the race cover, the nuts, etc, etc.

Sorry...I've read all the posts, but the pictures don't fully match what I'm seeing, so I wanted to be sure. I can take photos if those that want to help need visuals.

Thanks!

There isn't a rubber seal in the top. Just a dust cover. After you drop the top bearing down you then put on the dust cover then the nuts and such.
Leo

Thanks Leo....of course there are follow ups here for me.

The kit I bought states the product as bearings and seals. There are 2 of each in the kit. I assumed that the 'seals' in these kits were one for bottom and one for top.

So, are you saying that this 'seal' is considered a dust cover? Also...what about the other questions? Do I have the installation part right and do I have to beat the lower bearing onto the stem to bet it to 'set' on the lower 'seal'/dustcover?

Your supposed to hammer it down with something that won't damage it. ( old race , washer etc.) I used a washer and piece of P.V.C pipe. Once you get it on there, It's on. Make sure you have the seal the correct side up. I can't remember which way is right. Just fit the seal on the lower stem and put it up through the trees. You'll see which way is right. Don't trust photos online. I think that is where i got it wrong with contradicting photos. I did do it wrong the first time and couldn't get the bearing off. I destroyed the new bearing trying to remove it. Had to buy a new kit.

You can put both the bearing and tree in the freezer. This will shrink the stem and bearing. This might let the bearing slip right on down.
Others use a piece of pipe just big enough to slide down on the stem but not so big it pushes on anything other than the bearing inner race.
It is supposed to be a snug fit. You don't want it loose.
On the kits they fit many different bikes. They supply two seals because of differences in the way the seal fits the stem and neck. The seals are two sizes, use the one that fits the lower better.
Having rubber in the top will prevent proper tightening of the nuts.
If you look at the parts breakdown at a parts seller like boats.net you will see just what goes where. Like this diagram for an 81.
The seal #1 goes on the stem, ignore the bearing parts, you are replacing all those with the tapered bearing kit. Then part #3 cover, then nuts #4,
Leo

Attachments

• STEERING.png
    STEERING.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
I don't think you use both the original and the kit seal together on the bottom. I would use just one, and probably the original.

Hi Guys,
just came across this old thread and there's one little wrinkle that ain't mentioned and that I found out about the hard way.
When dismantling the original top ball race, IMMEDIATELY AND VERY CAREFULLY remove all the balls, a big magnet is the preferred tool for this.
If one of those balls falls down between the triple tree stem and the steering neck tube it will jam the the stem into the neck.
When I dropped a ball in there I had to make a poorboy's removal tool from 1/2" threaded rod to get the thing apart when it jammed.

HELP!!!!!!!! This tapered roller bearing up grade looks a little strange. It is right? The top bearing race, should it stick up above the frame once installed? How should the
seals that come with the all balls tapered bearing kit be installed? Also need some help with the dam swing arm bushings?????????

The top bearing race does stand a bit proud of the neck.
If your stock seal is not damaged use it. If you want to use a new one, use the one that matches the stock one best.
Leo

HELP!!!!!!!! The top bearing race, should it stick up above the frame once installed?

Currently researching this upgrade myself. Attached are my saved related Threads in a Folder.

Create yourself customized Folders to save topic related threads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Back