Who here has a "different " pet?

Round here wife says: possum = shoot on sight. They carry some disease that can cross to horses. Pets; 3 horses currently, we are on dog #4 over 20 years. Wife is animal control in Baraboo, gotten involved in a couple of "round ups", do not attempt emu herding.... She took a short course on elephant catching. Circus world museum is located here.

The possum horse thingie.
http://www.aaep.org/info/horse-health?publication=752
Possum lovers don't read this next bit.
gruesome event: I sent an obviously AFU possum to the happy hunting grounds with a 22 pistol. Turns out a 22 to the skull creates a disturbing extended death "dance" ewwww. If there's a next time? 12 gauge at a bit longer range.

Yeah, part of the reason for that may be that marsupials (lemme say 'most' marsupials because there are no absolutes) have 2 separate brains in their head. 1 on the left, 1 on the right that are not connected to each other. Our brains have a left and a right hemisphere that have a lot of connections to each other and each one appears to have certain special areas of interest. Placental animals like us are clearly smarter than marsupials, shoot one in the head they dead. But marsupials, according to your post don't get off so easy. Shoot on of them in the head it sounds like they only go half dead.
That is really interesting, thanks for the insight.

BTW I have a Rosey Boa. It is a miniature Boa Constrictor, 10 years old maybe 24" long. Ever try to measure a snake? He's a good boy, never hissed, struck at, nor bit any one. He does put a hurtin' on them mice, maybe one every 2 weeks from May to Sept. and doesn't eat at all the winter months. They have 2 legs, or the remnants of 'em. 2 spurs that he can wiggle when getting frisky with his girlfriend...if he had one.

Here in Georgia it is illegal to keep indigenous species captive as a pet. That rules out raccoons, opossums, deer, alligators, skinks, copperheads, etc. I keep several XS650's and a couple of XS1100's.

Was the third time I read before I realized it said SKINK not............ o_O
Might make it tough to keep up a breeding population in Georgia. :smoke:

Found this in our lounge room yesterday, a young one only about 2 feet long but Tiger snakes are still deadly even this size.

The local snake catcher came and removed it. (it was caught in the mousetrap.)

20161212_155115.jpg

Yeah, snakes. I encourage them around the farmstead. Don't consider them pets per se but we had a female rat snake that lived out in our freezer shed for many years. One time the missus went to get some potting soil out of a sack and while reaching in the bag she grabbed the old girl. Erp. The wife tolerated her, barely.
A couple of summers ago the wife came across her in the strawberry patch that's next to the shed. She was dead, appeared to have been ripped up by Racoons we figure. I measured her out at 5'2".
I've had young ones drop out of the rafters of the pole barn while messing with the bikes. Plop, what the? Oh. Ok.
In the cellar on top of the water heater along with the heater element changing tools...uh, hello there.
In the goat barn above the work bench laying along the electric wire. I see ya. So far none inside the house proper.

A few years back, my daughter had a couple bearded dragons. I made them cages. Useless pets and I don't see the attraction.

Last edited:
Yeah, part of the reason for that may be that marsupials (lemme say 'most' marsupials because there are no absolutes) have 2 separate brains in their head. 1 on the left, 1 on the right that are not connected to each other. Our brains have a left and a right hemisphere that have a lot of connections to each other and each one appears to have certain special areas of interest. Placental animals like us are clearly smarter than marsupials, shoot one in the head they dead. But marsupials, according to your post don't get off so easy. Shoot on of them in the head it sounds like they only go half dead.
That is really interesting, thanks for the insight.

Hmmmm....two brains that aren't connected. Sounds like some of the folks I work with at the university.

We have a dog - Millie who is a golden doodle and she is fantastic.

We also have two cats - Adelaide and Fiona.

Anyone want a cat? Cheap? Shipping paid throughout Canada and the CONUS.

Want two of them?

Mine come with a warranty.

"Satisfaction guaranteed or double your cats back."

[/QUOTE

thats not a warranty.... thats a threat :eek:

I got suckered into taking another couple of kittens last year.
Naturally they turned out to be nothing like the picture on the box .!

Mouse the female is a tiny little Mach3 missile/ love sponge whilst Ronny the boy is a huge marauding 4Kg thug that stomps around the neighbourhood savaging all the local cats, dogs and wildlife.....Brother and Sister ? yeah right ...:umm:

Don't be fooled by the picture like I was............. reeled in hook line and sinker.
hallie & gerry sams cats.jpg

Back