Who here has a "different " pet?

Your no fun.........lol.................Yea it is a small one about 6-700mm long, They get to 6' .......now they can be scary when cornered
.... Trade mark Auto levels crop a 0477.jpg
.... Trade mark Auto levels crop a 0477.jpg

..... Trade Mark Auto levels Crop 0493.jpg
..... Trade Mark Auto levels Crop 0493.jpg

Pics have been cropped.......Lizard was about 20'-25' away and on full 250mm zoom lens..........Yea it is nice to have animals around.

My dog, (rip), just hated the dam monitor lizards, i could control him around just about any animal, but the lizards, he would beeline for them straight away, no eyeing them up before a charge.....Would freak me out, i hated the idea he would hurt them, and if they were big enough he would be ripped to pieces................They would to dig up his bones, :cussing:...... i guess we would get cranky if some was stealing our favorite food.

I put seed in the bird feeder over the winter... Similarly, consider plants as pets (and the book by that title). When they die you aren't devastated. And in a pinch, you can throw them away :)

I put seed in the bird feeder over the winter... Similarly, consider plants as pets (and the book by that title). When they die you aren't devastated. And in a pinch, you can throw them away :)

Hi xjwmx,
remember the pet rock? "Never needs feeding, never runs away, defends you when thrown - - - "

Well this is a bit OT for the "different-pet" topic, but you may recall I posted a picture of our girl Libby the retired Greyhound, who was also retired from being a service dog, Well sad to say last fall I took her out to the 40X50 foot pen to do her business and like often she would do hot laps in the pen. This day however she ran diagonally to the back corner and did a fast turn to the left and let out a terrible cry. Slowly she limped back to me and got to the house.

We took her to the ER Vet and after some X-rays they determined she had broke her leg due to bone cancer. If it had just be a break with out the cancer there would be the options for either fixing the break or removing the leg. Choice was hard but decided to let her go as it was not going to be good in the long run.

Well after a couple days wife and I got to thinking we might see if there were any new Greyhounds coming up that we might be able to adopt. Wouldn't you know there was a pet adoption thing going on not far from us. One thing about adopting Greys is that usually there is a process where you have to go through a waiting period and home inspection and such but wife knows one of the main people in Northeast for Greyhound Rescue and we have help wit transporting for him so we got fast tracked.

Well this is what we ended up with:
Chad001.JPG

That is Chad! Two and half years old and only a few weeks off the track in Florida! He's still learning how to be a dog and only the last few weeks has got so he can sleep beyond 4 am. Worst problem has been getting him up out of his bed to go outside to pee at 10pm. You would almost think he had died he would just lay there. We had to bribe him with treats tossed on the floor to get him to move. Once on his feet he was good to go.

About once a day when he is out in the pen he will decide it's time to run laps you have to stand back because the mud or dirt will be flying and he has the grass in that pen looking like someone took a rototiller to it! We're thinking he was abused by a man at one point as he is very good with my wife, but sometimes for no apparent reason will almost freeze when trying to walk near me. then other times he will play with me just like the big puppy he is, front paws spread out and head down on the floor barking ready to play and catch the chew toys tossed his way.

Well this is a bit OT for the "different-pet" topic, but you may recall I posted a picture of our girl Libby the retired Greyhound, who was also retired from being a service dog, Well sad to say last fall I took her out to the 40X50 foot pen to do her business and like often she would do hot laps in the pen. This day however she ran diagonally to the back corner and did a fast turn to the left and let out a terrible cry. Slowly she limped back to me and got to the house.

We took her to the ER Vet and after some X-rays they determined she had broke her leg due to bone cancer. If it had just be a break with out the cancer there would be the options for either fixing the break or removing the leg. Choice was hard but decided to let her go as it was not going to be good in the long run.

Well after a couple days wife and I got to thinking we might see if there were any new Greyhounds coming up that we might be able to adopt. Wouldn't you know there was a pet adoption thing going on not far from us. One thing about adopting Greys is that usually there is a process where you have to go through a waiting period and home inspection and such but wife knows one of the main people in Northeast for Greyhound Rescue and we have help wit transporting for him so we got fast tracked.

Well this is what we ended up with:
View attachment 141792
That is Chad! Two and half years old and only a few weeks off the track in Florida! He's still learning how to be a dog and only the last few weeks has got so he can sleep beyond 4 am. Worst problem has been getting him up out of his bed to go outside to pee at 10pm. You would almost think he had died he would just lay there. We had to bribe him with treats tossed on the floor to get him to move. Once on his feet he was good to go.

About once a day when he is out in the pen he will decide it's time to run laps you have to stand back because the mud or dirt will be flying and he has the grass in that pen looking like someone took a rototiller to it! We're thinking he was abused by a man at one point as he is very good with my wife, but sometimes for no apparent reason will almost freeze when trying to walk near me. then other times he will play with me just like the big puppy he is, front paws spread out and head down on the floor barking ready to play and catch the chew toys tossed his way.

That’s really nice Ken. I’ve always had a soft spot for greyhounds, anyone I’ve known that had one, just loved them. Nice dog!

That’s really nice Ken. I’ve always had a soft spot for greyhounds, anyone I’ve known that had one, just loved them. Nice dog!
Well it might get interesting here tomorrow after noon as another couple are going to bring over their two Greys to meet our guy. They will be going on vacation in a few weeks and we are going to dog sit for them at that time. I'd say that 99% of the time Greys get along with other Greys as they were brought up with many others when at the tracks.

Another time this summer while we are dog sitting another Grey who has spent a few days with our boy we will also for one night have two other furry kids staying over night in our dog pen. A pair of Alpacas! Friends of ours are having them at a local festival and as their home is around a hour ride each way they asked if they could leave their kids with us for one night to save the long ride for the two of them.

Chad has met the Alpacas before and showed little to no interest in them, probably just thinks they are strange looking dogs! Will try to get a picture of them together!

Back