BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I know this regional forum doesn't say Illinois, but I live right across the river from St Louis, MO and consider myself more in the "MidWest" which is Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

I'm definitely looking for guys around the St Louis area, Southern Illinois area or even Springfield, IL area.

Hi. I live in Brighton too. Have an XS650 that's been apart way to long. Bought it 30 years ago. Thrown a lot of money at it through the years. Bored out to 800cc, , 11to1 compression, had Venolia make the pistons. Total seals rings, Branch heads, ect.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't check my email often enough. I have the top cover off that holds the rocker arms off, have new rockers with elephant feet, not mounted yet. Was attempting to pull the heads and cylinders off to look at the condition of the pistons and cylinder walls and check ring gaps again. Can't seem to get the heads off. I used a copper gasket that accutronics made for me and used gasgacinch. Maybe a little heat will free it. Have all three bolts from heads to cylinder off but no go. The oil sump plate isn't attached. Need to get to crank bearings, didn't use any assembly lube on any parts, that's OK since the motor has never been turned over. Motor sitting in corner with blanket on top and associated parts in a bucket.

... Was attempting to pull the heads and cylinders off to look at the condition of the pistons and cylinder walls and check ring gaps again. Can't seem to get the heads off. I used a copper gasket that accutronics made for me and used gasgacinch. Maybe a little heat will free it. Have all three bolts from heads to cylinder off but no go...

That's more of a 'garage' question. Maybe some help in here:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/first-xs650-build-what-to-look-for.43453/page-17#post-457322

Hoggzilla, to lift the head, use carpenter's shims lengthwise between head and barrel on both sides, and tap 'em in until the dowels clear. You probably know this stuff; but modern engines can run on 87 octane at 11:1 static CR only because of advances in combustion chamber design and ignition control. You'd need race gas to run the old XS650 at 11:1. If you intend the motor for the street, you can mill .030" off the crowns of Venolia race pistons and have plenty of meat left. Resulting CR will be a tad north of 10:1, suitable for premium pump gas.

And Ditto, Jimmy; we're a long way from the Great Lakes down here in Egypt. C'dale is over 100 miles closer to Nashville, TN than to Chicago.

Last edited:
[QUOTEExploding Coffin Emporium, post: 504580, member: 25905"]Far northern Illinois here, 10 minutes south of the WI border[/QUOTE]
Wonder Lake...For me. 3A5CA0B8-B23B-44B6-B71C-60A1520E0488.png

Last edited:
Back