Why the sudden lose of power?

xsrich

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, yesterday bike running great. Today it's a total 180.
At idle the engine sounds fine, until I accelerate.
If I accelerate slowly it picks up speed fine, but once I get on it just a little harder, it revs up high as if I was pulling in the clutch and doesn't go anywhere. This happens in all gears. I also noticed that after shutting it off, I went to start it, kick start only, it slipped as if I had the clutch in. After about 4 slow kicks it cought and finally turned over and started. Does this sound like a trans problem, a blown gasket, ????
Thanks for the help...

clutch (or hopefully clutch adjustment) start with the cable and work your way down. it might just be you had the clutch cable loose and the little tin arm inside the LH cover has caught up on the sleeve instead of the knob on the end.

No, no mods at all. 1982. Ok, I will check the clutch. I just dont know why it doesnt want to eccelerate normally. Thanks guys, please keep throwing any other ideas or suggestions.

Ah, after rereading your description, I think Gary's got it. I had the same problem with my 81, and adjusting the cable at the lever fixed it. Won't hurt to check/set it down at the sidecover, though.

It sounds like gggGary's got it right, clutch slippage.
To properly adjust the clutch you loosen the cable adjuster at the lever.
Now under the little round chrome cover on the left side engine cover, loosen the lock nut.
Using a screwdriver turn the screw in slowly until you just feel resistance. Do this a few times to get a good idea of what it feels like.
When you just feel resistance, back the screw off 1/8 to 1/4 turn, while holding the screw from turning, snug the lock nut back down.
This sets the pushrod to pressure plate clearance.
Now up at the lever, adjust the cable to get 1/8 to 1/4 inch freeplay. Should be good to go know.
Your kick start engages the engine through the transmission and clutch, so if the clutch slips so will the kick start. The electric start engages the engine on the crank, so you can start it without the clutch even on the engine.

check the clutch and or its adjustment, definately slipping and it also has to be working correctly for the kick starter to work

Thanks to all, I will start there since so many are telling me its the clutch.
Rock on....

Holy sh.... You guys rock. That was so easy, did exactly what XSleo told me and the thing runs like a champ. Thanks to all!!!!

Back