Wide supermoto wheels and tires??????

rokcrlr

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone used wider rims with modern street tires, I have searched and really not came up with anything. I'm starting my build this summer and I'm kinda mixing old with modern for a street tracker-fighter style bike. I have a 2000 gsxr front end,2 into 1 headers and some cafe plastics, (came with bike). I know you can only go so wide on the tires,but was thinking you could get away with like some 4.25 rims, laced to the xs center hub with a street bike size tire to fit. I have a DRZ400 supermoto and it looks like it's rear tire would fit and look pretty good. I'm an old fart so I won't be riding way over the bikes capabilities, or mine. An ideas or suggestions- pro's and cons???

There is a good thread on here regarding 17 inch wheels.
The upshot is that problems arise with ground clearance and the chain run over the swing arm. These problems can be attenuated by engineered but not easily.
Unfortunately I took the motard wheel path before I discovered this site and the above thread and so have had to find solutions to the problems.
If I build another XS it will have 18 inch wheels.

I'll add that you use most complete wheels you will end up with gearing that would be appropriate for a wall climber. The sprocket bolt circle in most hubs won't let you go much below 40 tooth on the rear.
+1 on ground clearance also, 17" rim low profile tires, shorter crutch rocket forks put the engine close to the ground.

stevedale.jpg

I rode this bike a few miles. It handled well and was a hoot but the gearing was way down there. Older KTM wheel set. Think the forks were from a 600 dual sport.

Back