Widest Rim W/ Stock XS

Adrenaline-Junkie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Whats the widest rim you can run on the front and back with stock forks and swingarm and no major mods? I know youll run into problems with the chain hitting with like a 150 tire or so. Kinda curious to see what others have done. I know its not something a lot of people on this site like but i figured its worth asking. Thanks

EDIT: Found most of what i needed after some reading, i apologize for jumping the gun on the thread. If anyone would like to chime in on the topic, go for it.

Last edited:
Everything I have read is not necessarily for a wider wheel, but the tires rub beyond a 140 on the swingarm. My perception is a 12o width is probably max on the front, but you would need a 2.5 inch wide wheel for it.

On the front if you measure between your forks where the tire is, this will tell you how wide a tire will fit. That measurement less a bit to the size that comes close.
On the rear the chain or chain gaurd will hit befire the swing arm. A 140 is about as wide as you can go, and then you may need to grind the edges of the tire for clearance.
Leo

The largest tire you can run front and rear is 4 inches. I don't remember the metric size.

You find a tire manufacture..like Pirelli and find a 4 inch tire. Call the manufacture and ask them what rim range the tire takes then buy the rim. So tire size first them rim to fit the tire.

Pirelli makes a Scorpion that likes bad ass on the bike, have them on mine with custom Excel rims from Buchanan's.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/m...on_mt_90_a-t.html?url=?subtype=off-road&use=1

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Based on what others have said im thinking closer to 5 inch wide (wheel/tire at the widest point) would be the max before you hit the chain. Regardless, what are you basing your info on?

My'83 Heritage Special has a 130 on the back, mounted on a 16"x2.75" rim. This is the stock rim and tire size. It's a real close fit between the tire and the drum brake anchor rod, and also between the tire and the chain guard. I don't think you will get much more tire in the back without going to extraordinary measures.

A 130 wide tire is about 5.10 inches wide. I have run a 140/5.5 wide tire. Itrubbed on both sides just a bit. I put the bike up on the center stand, idling, in gear and used my angle grinder to grind the edge back a bit so it stopped rubbing.
That's with a 16 inc h wheel/tire, can you go that wide with an 18 inch wheel, no I don't think so. The 18 inch wheel puts the widest part of the tire about 1 inch farther forward in the swing arm. The swing arm gets narrower the farther forward you go. A 120 may fit, depending on brand and style of tire.
Leo

A shinko 130-16 on the stock rim is squeaking on the brake rod and chain guard on my 82

I'm thinking of running a 16 on the front also. I like the fat look but don't think I can get much width with the stock forks. Anybody tried to see what you could get with the stock forks? (Dumb question, I'm sure somebody has. lol) What is a good front end to use that won't break the bank as I am an old biker on disability anymore. Sucks! Big John

stock front end, stock front hub laced to rear xs 16" rim. bike by joewiseguys
joewiseguys.jpg

Back