widest tire for tc bros hardtail?

anthony44

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys im brand new to this forum ive searched for this but couldnt find a specific answer. I need new tires because they are dry rotted and i want the fattest rear i can get on there without rubbing. Does anyone know the widest tire that can fit on my spoked wheels with a tc bros hardtail?
20171209_163220.jpg
20171211_102807.jpg
IMG_20171216_151443_440.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_151443_440.jpg
    IMG_20171216_151443_440.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 252
Hi tony and welcome,
the XS650 Specials use a 130/90-16 rear and your hardtail can use that width on an 18" rear rim because there's no swingarm
to restrict a larger diameter tire. You can't go fatter than 130 though because it'll rub on the chain.
Stock front is 100/90-19 and as your bike is fenderless you could fatten the front to 110 although fatter than 110 runs a tad close to the fork sliders.
Think about swapping to Unipods. Those tapered pleated aircleaners are a bad thing on stock carbs.

Hi tony and welcome,
the XS650 Specials use a 130/90-16 rear and your hardtail can use that width on an 18" rear rim because there's no swingarm
to restrict a larger diameter tire. You can't go fatter than 130 though because it'll rub on the chain.
Stock front is 100/90-19 and as your bike is fenderless you could fatten the front to 110 although fatter than 110 runs a tad close to the fork sliders.
Think about swapping to Unipods. Those tapered pleated aircleaners are a bad thing on stock carbs.
Thank you so much. im going to order the tires today. Im about to order new air filters too now that you mention that. Thanks again brother

Non o-ring chains aren't as fat as the o-ring style. :sneaky: as mentioned its the chain that'll get you on tire width. One day if you ride much You'll be trying to get a chain guard in there also. not much fun walking around with a grease stripe on your clothes. Even less fun laundering that crap.

Non o-ring chains aren't as fat as the o-ring style. :sneaky: as mentioned its the chain that'll get you on tire width. One day if you ride much You'll be trying to get a chain guard in there also. not much fun walking around with a grease stripe on your clothes. Even less fun laundering that crap.[/QUOTE True so with my o-ring chain do you also think the 130/90-16 rear will be good? Im about to order shinko white walls in those sizes, i definitely need to figure out the chain guard one day too haha

Sorry i think I messed up the last reply. I was wondering about a 140 but i think itll be too wide. I will go with the 130. Thanks for the reassurance guys

Seems to me that fitting a 16" tire on that 18" rim is going to be a LOT of work! no big deal if the chains slaps the tire now and then. I'm not a fan of too wide tires on skinny rims, OK if you won't mind wobbly handling I guess. I run a 120/70 on a 3" rim in the rear with an o-ring chain and chain guard no problems. Pics are a 110 70 front tire. Bike ate that in indecently short amount of time, changed to 120/70 rear shinko this summer.

Attachments

• 3x18 flange rear.jpg
    3x18 flange rear.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 331
  • resto-mods 009.JPG
    resto-mods 009.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 359
I think I feel a slight degradation of rear stability with the 120 on a 3" rim compared to the 110. Gotta factor in the 110 Michelin was a bux sport bike tire. Running a 130 on a 2.15 stock rim? Not for me. But it's certainly been done many times, for the look.

I just want to emphasize before you order; your picture shows an 18"!!! rear rim, a quick search isn't finding any 18" rear whitewalls that will fit your rim/bike. You'll chew a front tire on the rear down to cords in a hurry. Pretty Sure I did that in about 3,000 miles.

I just want to emphasize before you order; your picture shows an 18"!!! rear rim, a quick search isn't finding any 18" rear whitewalls that will fit your rim/bike. You'll chew a front tire on the rear down to cords in a hurry. Pretty Sure I did that in about 3,000 miles.
Good thing i didnt order it yet lol. So a 130/90-16 cant stretch over and fit my 18" rim? the motorcycle shop near me can put it on with the tire machine if it fits

I'm trying real hard to keep a straight face here.......... Um
NO you can not put 16" tires on 18" rims (April 1st is still 4 months away???)
Hahah the first guy said i could. Confusing the shit out of me! Thanks so much gary. Im 20 y/o not to much experience especially with tire dimensions crap lol thanks again i will go with the 18" tire

OLE Fred shudda know'd better, he wasn't pay'n attention. Too busy trying to stay warm in the Canadian wilderness.
Actually a re-read of his post says he is saying a 130 by 18 would be OK cause Yomamaha put a 130x16 tire and rim on the specials without problems.
PS you may have to work on your brake stay arm also.

You can go up to a 4" rim that will give it a fatter look also. Done it with a hard tail many times. This is a 18" Harley wheel

Attachments

• white bike.jpg
    white bike.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 431
OLE Fred shudda know'd better, he wasn't pay'n attention. Too busy trying to stay warm in the Canadian wilderness.
Actually a re-read of his post says he is saying a 130 by 18 would be OK cause Yomamaha put a 130x16 tire and rim on the specials without problems.
Cool i guess i didnt read it right I got a 130/90-18 and a 110/90-19 s
Cool i got a 130/90-18 and a 110/90-19 shinko 230 tourmaster tires ill put up a pic of it when they are mounted

Hi Gary,
what wilderness? We got paved roads don't we? Frozen, we'll admit to. OTOH in summer we got 18 hours of daylight to ride in.
Hi Tony,
wanting to run a fat rear tire on that skinny rim says you are happy to abandon good handling in favour of good looks.
Your choice, no problem so long as you know that'll happen.
But there are options.
1) Wheelswap to one of the XS650 Special 16" rears.
2) Re-lace your rear hub into a wider rim of your choice. Pick a rim diameter (15", 16", 17" or 18") to suit the diameter of the tire you fancy the look of.
Note that the tire and rim diameters MUST match and that for 15" diameter ONLY car tires of that nominal size are 1/4" smaller than bike tires
so they need to be stretched on by a professional tire shop machine and I for one reckon that's too dodgy to be safe.

Your Shinko tires will be just a little larger than other brands sold as the same size. You should get high mileage from the Tour Masters on a light bike, and they usually sell for a great price too.

Scott

That Harley rim is just under $200 and then you need chain sprocket and brake . I did that setup for under $450.
You just got to remember Harley wheels are 3/4" or 1" and the plates have to match that.
Plan on your next build and it will come out bad ass.

Back