Will a '79 instrument cluster work on an '83?

1p21jiggawats

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set for a 79 bike super cheap on ebay, it was an expiring auction so I snapped it up.

Only problem is they cut all the wires so I have to splice them back onto the connectors.

The layout of the lights is a little different, so I'm not 100% sure that this set will work on my bike. Any insight?

First post eh? Welcome aboard!
A little more info on the bike as to what you have, stock? Basket case? A PO's project?
Also where do you want to go with it, as far as form and function.
The gauges can be made to work and work fine. Not too much, if any real difference between the '79 and the '83's .....a look at some schematics that can be found in a thread titled " some wiring diagrams" by INXS can help. Post some pics when you can.

Personally, I get creative with my clocks and combine the turn, high beam and neutral indicators all into the tach side and toss the light tree thats located in the middle for a place to put a voltmeter.

Last edited:
Thanks! And yes I should have posted more detail.

The bike is pretty much stock as it is with stock instruments.

I bought a set that includes the whole mount that came straight off an old bike. The ones on my bike are faded and the tach has a face plate screw that worked its way out and is now rattling around in there and causing more damage.

I'll post some pics later when I'm not at work. Very interested to see more about that custom setup you mentioned with the volt meter. Got a thread link for that? That actually might work for me because the 79 set has the neutral indicator on the tach.

Simple as NJ says. The muli connectors wont work because the lights are changed around. I cliped the wires far enough back from the multi connector to install bullet connectors so i could return the wires back if i changed the gauges back, for what ever reason like selling the bike.

Link to a tutorial on getting the glass off
http://www.xs650.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1728

May find some differnces on the back of the gauge cases as well, Special Cases were white and on some of the later they only had one gauge, (illumination), light.
Green cases were on the Standards76-78.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2172&page=2

Pics of the different gauges. First a 78SE/79SF and the later 80-84, also mine where i have installed 76 gauges on a 78SE/779SF Tower. All gauges from 76-83 will bolt on all brackets from 76-83 but there are differences in the crown and brackets to accommodate some differences in the towers

Attachments

• 5 78SE-79SF Special.jpg
    5 78SE-79SF Special.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 7 80SG-81SH-82J-83K XS650.jpg
    7 80SG-81SH-82J-83K XS650.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2z 76XSC-79SF.jpg
    2z 76XSC-79SF.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
One of these days when I upgrade my computer and iPad to something a bit more current and friendly, I'll put together a thread about adding indicator lights to the tach side......

Here's a link to some of the inanities that I've done to my bike(s) over the years....peruse at a risk of boredom. In there is a shot of the clocks and the voltmeter.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=66518#post66518
The one tach shown is from an SR500 that came with the neutral, high beam and turn signal indicators stock from the factory. The fly in that ointment is that the SR's redline is 500 rpm off from our 650's.....no big deal.
On my '77 I wanted to go the same route as my '83 so I picked up an SR500 tach to do it again-but like Skull pointed out, the illumination on the '77 stock clocks is green, whereas the SR and the '83 is yellow. Wanting to keep the green illumination I had to build the neutral and turn indicators into the '77's tach. Easy enough as the plastic clock housings are manufactured with punch outs in the back to do that........just have to drill the faceplate big enough to apply the plastic indicator lenses-which I had from the SR tach.
This all may not make a lot of sense but once you start to break these tachs down it becomes clear.

Once the light tree in the middle is no longer needed, I move the ignition switch to the front side of the bike by swinging it down and mounting it to the frame (another story) and then trim the light tree mount down, removing the upper part and leaving the lower that has two mounting holes that were for the ignition. These are spaced wide enough for mounting the type of voltmeter that I prefer.

If and when I convert my '78 over, I'll make a tutorial thread.

Back