Will it look silly?

Zotarajohn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm pretty new to this whole thing so please bear with me! Starting to shy away away from the hard tail thing for my xs since I'm not getting any younger and have had back surgery etc. I do like the look of the brat more and more and was wondering if ya think a very slight rake a slightly longer fork tube would look OK on a brat style bike? Don't see much in the way of pictures on this set up and just don't want it to look to silly! Feed back requested!!! By the way, the seat and bars are " new part take offs " from an 06 Triumph. The seat will have to go but I would like to keep the handle bars, not much into the "ape hanger look". Again, not to appear to look too "green", but what do you mean by "trail" ?? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_20150613_200853.jpg
    IMG_20150613_200853.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 205
Morning' John. Form over function, function over form?
It's about the handling. If you've ridden the bike in its stock configuration then you have a base to judge the changes. I've personally run stock and extended forks and extended as in 2 +/- over, four over and six....and at the end of the ride I'm ready to go back to stock due to the handling. For me I want the quick handling in the twisties as that's where my pleasure riding is done, also to be able to dodge the expected deer and the occasional Angus on the roadside of the fence.
Now doing a rake with forks to bring the bike back to stock height, I have no idea.

Again, not to appear to look too "green", but what do you mean by "trail" ?? Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forums! Although, I haven't been in this forum a long time, I've had motorcycles nonstop for the last 48 years.

My two cents, for what its worth: If you like the looks of a hardtail, but you have back issues and you just want to ride, then get a softail Harley. Comfort and style.

Here's the answer to your rake and trail question:

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

The brat kit will lower the rear and that will make the forks appear longer. You may not need or want a fork extension after that.

Hi John and welcome,
what will look silly is two EMTs lifting you off a hardtail, strapping you onto a backboard and transporting you to the emergency ward.
"Trail" is the distance from where the steering stem centerline hits the road back to where the front tire hits the road.
Stock XS650 trail is ~4-1/4"
Lowering the bike's front end (smaller diameter front wheel, shorter forks, longer rear shocks) lessens the trail which quickens the steering.
Lifting the bike's front end (larger diameter front wheel, longer forks, shorter rear shocks) increases the trail which slows the steering.
BTW, it helps us in bewildering you with BS if you put your bike's year and condition into your sign-in text or in a signature line.

Back