Win of the night

MountainXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Started picking up the pace on my 1980 xs650 Special project. Pulled the carbs which were in rough shape. But I was able to track down an ultrasonic cleaner on the cheap via FB marketplace. While everyone has their own preference, I went with the 50/50 mix of Zep Citrus Degreaser and water. Looked a bit like forbidden orange Gatorade, but did an incredible job. 12-15 minutes in the bath. Used a small glass jar and a few ounces of degreaser for the extracted jets and bits.

All was smooth sailing until encountered a terribly mangled pilot jet. Soaked it, degreased it, hit it with Liquid Wrench and it wouldn’t budget. After some sleuthing around the forum, I opted for a screw extractor set starting with the smallest bit.

Tonight was a win. But it really could have gone either way. Any leads on high quality replacement pilot jets? Big thanks to all who contribute here.

EB83C352-4E9F-4A83-9454-A0BD02DB0559.jpeg

8CFCD7F3-38B0-4EA1-9F38-20F5784FFA37.jpeg

Appreciate the tip on Niche Cycles for Mikuni jets AND the intel on home grinding custom bits. I placed an order earlier today. Rookie question, does Vessel or otherwise make a JIS flat head screwdriver?

I don't think there are JIS flat blades, just metric sized ones. But even those aren't a perfect fit in the jet slots. I start with 4mm bits for the pilot jets and although they fit OK as is, with a little grinding, they fit much better (tighter). I am a fan of Vessel for the JIS Phillips bits though. My favs are their 2" power bits .....

Vessel J.I.S. Bits.jpg

Back