WPGxs650_brat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!

New to the group. Live in Winnipeg. Owner of a 1979 x400F and 1978 xs650 Special.

My plan is to chop and chip away at the 650 this winter. That said I have a question (one of many to come I'm sure)

The Bike (650) currently has mag wheels (both front and rear, both disk.) I'm looking all over the site and can't find a compiled list of compatible front hubs. I get that not every hub will fit perfect and that some can have the bearing swapped out to fit. and others like Harley's require a spacer

So that said does anyone know of compatible hubs? I'm not looking to go new on the hub, something with less modifying the better lol.

Hello!
New to the group. Live in Winnipeg. Owner of a 1979 x400F and 1978 xs650 Special.
My plan is to chop and chip away at the 650 this winter. That said I have a question (one of many to come I'm sure)
The Bike (650) currently has mag wheels (both front and rear, both disk.) I'm looking all over the site and can't find a compiled list of compatible front hubs. I get that not every hub will fit perfect and that some can have the bearing swapped out to fit. and others like Harley's require a spacer
So that said does anyone know of compatible hubs? I'm not looking to go new on the hub, something with less modifying the better lol.

Hi WPG and welcome,
if you plan to swap your mag wheels for wire wheels:-
Any post '73 XS650 front wire wheel will fit so long as it is fitted with a '77 or newer brake disk.
Any year XS650 rear wire wheel will fit except there ain't no rear wire wheels with a disk brake so you gotta swap to rear drum.
It'll save you a lot of angst if you plan to stay with mag wheels and their ability to run tubeless tires.
The list's "search . . . " button will find all manner of upgrades to the XS650's stock front brake.

Hi WPG: you might also consider just riding the bike in stock condition before pulling out the sawzall.

The Yamaha XS650 in stock condition is an extremely nice bike to ride and a handsome example of motorcycle art - and they are becoming more rare every day as time goes on and more of them are ruined (oooppss - I meant to say “modified”) into uncomfortable, homely machines that handle poorly and aren’t safe.

Give the old girl a chance.

....just a thought.

Pete

Give the old girl a chance.

....just a thought.

Pete
Exactly right. There's a lot you can do to the old girl to make her your own without destroying forever a classic bike. Having said that, It's your bike and you'll get lots of useful support from the great folks here no matter what you do.
Welcome to the site!

Trying to torque my new sprocket on the rear tire, I have read 22 ft lbs, but everyone is saying 10mm bolts.
Mine are 17mm.

Hi ' _brat,
both are true.
The rear sprocket retention bolts are 10mm in diameter with 17mm a/f flats on the heads.
That is, you torque 'em up as appropriate for M10 fasteners using a 17mm socket on your torque wrench.
With luck there'll still be unused "ears" on the tab-washers to bend up after the bolts are tightened.
Otherwise you'll need to get new ones because although substituting single-coil spring washers will work
their extra thickness lets the bolt heads hit stuff.

With careful bending unbending I get about three uses out of each tab..........
Hint start with a sharp chisel to get the tab away from the bolt flat, then switch to a rounded flat tool to finish unbending the tabs. Worn out flat blade screwdriver or piece of flat stock with slightly rounded edges works well.

With careful bending unbending I get about three uses out of each tab..........
Hint start with a sharp chisel to get the tab away from the bolt flat, then switch to a rounded flat tool to finish unbending the tabs. Worn out flat blade screwdriver or piece of flat stock with slightly rounded edges works well.

I ground down an extra flat head, and covered it in plasti dip. Worked like a charm

Hi ' _brat,
both are true.
The rear sprocket retention bolts are 10mm in diameter with 17mm a/f flats on the heads.
That is, you torque 'em up as appropriate for M10 fasteners using a 17mm socket on your torque wrench.
With luck there'll still be unused "ears" on the tab-washers to bend up after the bolts are tightened.
Otherwise you'll need to get new ones because although substituting single-coil spring washers will work
their extra thickness lets the bolt heads hit stuff.

Another bolt question. I snapped off one of the bolts for my starter cover. Would you happen to know the size? I need a replacement

Attachments

• IMG_20180328_125933_271.jpg
    IMG_20180328_125933_271.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 388
Hmmmm....I'll bet its an M6 x whatever is needed to NOT QUITE bottom out in the hole.

Your best bet is to measure the broken one.

Pete

These are the inner flange to flange screws they are TINY.
oops posted in wrong thread. starter cover screws are 6mm by 24.5mm, 6mm x 25mm should be fine.

Last edited:
Back