Winter wheels

When my XS650SK was new, I lived in and around Daytona Beach, Florida. I rode on the beach, at least a little and up and down A1A. The sand ate up my chain and sprockets in a great big hurry. Otherwise, my bike suffered no visible damage. The OE chrome wheels are on a shelf in my garage. The chrome is nice, except the part where the tube rested. I will have to remove the spokes with a bolt cutter. They're all stuck.

I'll let you know how Polly survives the Winter.

Yeah if the salt eats it up too bad……it’d be a shame if you had to replace it with a new bike! 😉
4C83DA86-6A48-4C36-A862-4AEAFF66835D.jpeg

No matter how beat up and pathetic I always cringe about subjecting a bike to the salt baths.
Perhaps an electric bicycle for cold weather trips to the shops? a bit of peddling helps keep cold at bay. They don't take up much room, often deals are found in the fall. That's true for neglected motorbikes also. ;^)
View attachment 226296
Looks familiar. Lol.
No matter how beat up and pathetic I always cringe about subjecting a bike to the salt baths.
Perhaps an electric bicycle for cold weather trips to the shops? a bit of peddling helps keep cold at bay. They don't take up much room, often deals are found in the fall. That's true for neglected motorbikes also. ;^)
View attachment 226296
Looks familiar. This was a couple of years ago on the start of my 250 mile return trip home from buying the bike. 4X more ice and slush when I got home. Odd - it was sunny when I left.

1670773915205.jpeg

Can't find any source of lanolin at a sensible price, so resorted to buying some in a jar and will liquefy it with kero or diesel for use as a protectant spray.
The same stuff can be used mixed with beeswax for leather treatment, so that's a bonus. Also does flaky skin that diabetics get on the lower legs, that's another plus point.
Hooboy, some intense lanolin treatment in store all around.

Back