Wintertime Whack-A-Mole: Rural Mail Delivery Woes

Lots of welding possibilities.
4ab99f5ed7c77257--funny-mailboxes-unique-mailboxes.jpg

A well driller had a bombproof mailbox on the outside of a corner. Made out of well casing and steel plate. Just the lid must have gone 10 pounds. If there had been a passenger in one car that hit it, they would have died. Actually heavy reinforced mailboxes are illegal for safety reasons. But not too many governments enforce it.
My plowman offers to repair or replace my box when he hits it, I just laugh and fix it again. I have the post way back and the arm pivots on a lag bolt with a locating detent so most hits just spin it. The post in a milk can version rusted away a couple years ago. it had been up longer than I've been here, about 20 years. On a rotten snow day with boxes set kinda far back it's not rare for a rural carrier to end up with the mailbox inside the passenger window, each back and forth rock of the gears slides the car a little further off the road. A real day brightener..... Ever notice how the plows go around each box leaving a big lump of snow RIGHT where the carrier needs to drive? Sure miss the route on days like that.

Gary,

your commentary gives me pause on my welding plans.
The last thing I want to do is put car passengers at risk, and a heavy steel object would do that.
As a child, I grew up near a very dangerous intersection which produced seemingly endless death and destruction.
And I'm back living near another, just 100 yards up the street, which is preceded by a blind rise.
To make matters worse, 10 whitetail deer cross the road through my yard in the morning and at dusk.
They just went by the window a few minutes ago.
At least once a year, I have to sweep up the plastic remnants of someone's front grill.
And if the mortally-wounded deer stumbles a few yards past the county road property onto mine, the dirty work is left to me.
For a few years, I just dragged the carcass to the far end of the property, and the wolves ripped it to pieces in one night; the rest was gone in two.

But one year, I decided to forego nature's bloody massacre, so I dragged it to where I was going to set fire to a very large pile of brush; a bonfire is needed every year following tree-felling for firewood. There was a volcano of flames; fellow bonfire enthusiasts will know what I mean.
I had a few images in my mind of ancient Native American spiritual cremations.

Qm57-Am9say1hrgvayp7lmE13qwvPio5Wvl3jUZkf_GUf13SHW.jpg

There wasn't much left. A few teeth, a jaw bone, and this (maybe someone can identify it) :

bone 010.JPG

bone 012.JPG

What were we talking about ? Mailboxes ?

Last edited:
We're on a frick'n deer freeway. Hear tire squeals, horns many nights, seen at least 5 car deer in front of the house. One carcass was across the road, our weimaraner kept trying to drag it home. Knowing there was free meat out there, that dog was an escape ARTIST. At night the coyotes were dragging it the other way, One morning I woke to watch a coyote staggering away so full it was barely able to walk. The carcass rapidly shrank, finally the spine ended up on our porch.

Man! Where you guys live must be treacherous to drive , with the deer population and all. There used to be a guy who wrote a monthly column about motorcycle safety in one of the motorcycle mags. The guy was killed by hitting a deer on a road in New Jersey while riding at dusk.
I had an aunt in Missouri who was killed by a deer while riding passenger in a car. The deer came over the hood and right through the windshield.
I think if I lived where you guys are I’d put a kangaroo guard in the front of my vehicle.
875CFDE5-E4A0-43CE-9803-64302587CC16.jpeg

The worst we have here is hitting the occasional coyote at night. But normally they are pretty wary.

What is it, country people moving to town? In town your mailbox is supposed to be nailed to your house, beside the front door.

Man! Where you guys live must be treacherous to drive , with the deer population and all. There used to be a guy who wrote a monthly column about motorcycle safety in one of the motorcycle mags. The guy was killed by hitting a deer on a road in New Jersey while riding at dusk.
I had an aunt in Missouri who was killed by a deer while riding passenger in a car. The deer came over the hood and right through the windshield.
I think if I lived where you guys are I’d put a kangaroo guard in the front of my vehicle.
View attachment 111622
The worst we have here is hitting the occasional coyote at night. But normally they are pretty wary.
Seems that everyone in this area has an "I hit a deer"story.
Me, too.
I hit a baby deer w/my 350z at only 45mph and it destroyed the whole front clip, the radiator and the trans cooler. I didnt think to photograph the dead animal. When the insurance adjuster began to express some doubts as to whether or not it was a deer accident, I pointed her to the turd in the smashed headlight. She shut up.

We're on a frick'n deer freeway. Hear tire squeals, horns many nights, seen at least 5 car deer in front of the house. One carcass was across the road, our weimaraner kept trying to drag it home. Knowing there was free meat out there, that dog was an escape ARTIST. At night the coyotes were dragging it the other way, One morning I woke to watch a coyote staggering away so full it was barely able to walk. The carcass rapidly shrank, finally the spine ended up on our porch.
Gary,
I imagine that the spinal column on the porch was rather disturbing.
But at least it wasn't the head on the pillow.
the-Godfather-Horse-Head-Bed.jpg

Yes, retired Greyhound. Our girl passed away 2 years ago, but made quite an impression on us. Your girl reminded me of Justice (It's Vindicated). Beautiful dog.
We are on our second Greyhound, this one is a twice retired dog. First from the track and then after working as a service dog for a Veteran untill the Vet's condition got to the point he could not care for the dog. We still put her in her vest from time to time to let her "work" more so to help "train" the public on the correct way to act around service dogs.

Miss Libby, short for Liberty, is not liking these snowy single digit ºF days any more than me! We have a pened in area of 40X50 feet where she likes to do "Hot Laps" to keep in shape, even once in a while in these temps!

There's one rural road north of town here, EVERY (standing) mailbox on that road has some sort of anti plow guard. everywhere else they are just here and there. I don't know what the curse is on that road.
I was high service and would get out and put mail in the box laying in the ditch for a day or two. But my boss yelled at me for doing it.

Oh sh!ts of helll Dude - with your mailbox down, how you gonna get all those cool parts you’ve ordered?
they feel sorry for me at the PO. I just called and they're holding my latest Mike's order on the shelf.
I've got a steel swing-away in the planning stage, in my head.
It'll be a nice welding project for my new stick welder in the spring.
IMportant to keep a smile about this.....:)

“I was high service and would get out and put mail in the box laying in the ditch for a day ortwo. But my boss yelled at me for doing it.”

Now that’s dedication! Nothing stops the US Mail! Except maybe supervisors :D

Well My box was good this morning then just after breakfast looked out and it was down! Can't really blame the plow guy this time as there was not sign of the wing plow hitting it, just the "wake" of the snow coming off the plow.

One advantage of the free standing design, just need to stand it back up if no solid contact.

Back