wire loom connector identification xs1b

Triggerton III

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all

I am trying to identify the white connectors on a replacement wire loom from Mikes XS. can you help?
see below.
24-6570_wire-harness-main-xs1_01.jpg

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-wire-harness-70-71-oem-256-82590-oem-256-82590-30-00.html

at first glance they look like pin connectors inside but they are a blade type.

the ones on the loom, are they the male connector?

If you haven't guessed its my first time with bike electrics.

Thanks Guys

Hi Triggerton and welcome to the forum.
The go to person on here for electrics for me is usually Jim.
But others are just as capable, 5T and Skull often assist.
anyhow anything you need can be found searching the various threads.
No doubt someone will give you a direct answer..

Not me however as I have a butchered Frankenstein loom which I’m replacing with a full Motogadget system. I’m a novice too!

Well I don't have an xs1 but I can try helping. First of all, do you have a wiring diagram. If not, print one out. Some of the nomenclature is: the connectors are the white plastic bits on the ends of the loom. The pins are within the connectors. The use of the terms male and female when it comes to connectors.. that should be obvious and I won't get into explanation. I recommend that you sit down with the wiring diagram and your loom and identify all the connectors first. The wiring diagram will have a color code... R for red, R/W would indicate red with a white stripe etc. You can use that info to figure out which connectors are which. Start with small and simple connections first. Some connectors will be referred to as either a jack, receptacle or plug. Don't get caught up on that. They are all connectors.

Well I don't have an xs1 but I can try helping. First of all, do you have a wiring diagram. If not, print one out. Some of the nomenclature is: the connectors are the white plastic bits on the ends of the loom. The pins are within the connectors. The use of the terms male and female when it comes to connectors.. that should be obvious and I won't get into explanation. I recommend that you sit down with the wiring diagram and your loom and identify all the connectors first. The wiring diagram will have a color code... R for red, R/W would indicate red with a white stripe etc. You can use that info to figure out which connectors are which. Start with small and simple connections first. Some connectors will be referred to as either a jack, receptacle or plug. Don't get caught up on that. They are all connectors.

See Trigg, Sleddog has responded.
Everyone here wants to help us less knowledgeable folk.
It’s a great place to be.

Pretty hard to use that pic from Mikes XS unless you have it in your hand. No guaranteeing the connectors, bullet/plastic, will be exactly the same as factory.

Wiring diagram are notorious for mistakes or just not complete so there is that to also contend with when trying to get a fix on it.

An example of the XS2 diagram i worked on. Didn't have a bike to work from and used fleecebay with the help from a couple or 3 members who had original bikes, 72XS2's and 73TX's and others not so electrically challenged.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/72xs2-73tx-wiring-diagram.53244/
Before ...............................................After/Finished
.. .72-xs2-circuit-diagram-c1325607311619 Colour.jpg.. 72XS2-circuit-diagram-b11325607311619 Colour aaaaa G Text 15 a1  RobinC.jpg

XS1B
Use with caution, especially the second one
70xs1_71xs1b.PNG 71 XS1B Supp-Manual 06.jpg

Thanks chaps, looks like I have a steep learning curve. I am prepared to give it a go. I also have a electronic ignition system that I have to figure out. I suppose in theory if I can't find the corresponding connectors I could always just scrap them for new ones male and female.

Hi Triggerton, I too used to be a complete electrical novice, in fact, I avoided touching the electrics as far a possible. But the 1970 Triumph TR6 650 I owned a few years ago needed a complete re-wire. The electrics were, to use a technical term, completely shagged. There was no option, so I tried looking at wiring diagrams, which just gave me a deepening sense of despair. Then I turned to looking at what was on the bike, pulling at wires, seeing what went where, drawing diagrams with an A3 notepad, pen and coloured crayons. Gradually it all began to make sense.

In the end I built a new wiring system on the Triumph from scratch and gained enough confidence that I have since re-wired my XS650 as well.

I hope this tale gives you the confidence to tackle the job. That harness from Mike's looks fairly simple and hopefully the wiring on your bike is equally simple. Try matching up colours and number of wires in each connector with the connectors on the bike. You will gain familiarity if you persist. And as Adam says, the good people hereabouts will offer help if you get stuck

Slow and steady wins the race. Raymond has some good advice there. There are some good references in the tech section. If you don't have a multimeter, you may want to consider getting one at some point. Doesn't have to be expensive or fancy. I would recommend getting one that has an audible continuity checker if possible. This makes it easier to check a wire from end to end. Another nice feature to have is a meter that includes alligator clips with the probes. I don't know what makes are available where you are. Flukes are the gold standard here but are pricey. Tripplet has a cheap and basic meter, but just about anything will get you started.

If you have the original harness, compare it to your new one. In particular, compare the plug types and shapes, and what slots or ports the wire colors are placed in. Make sure they match up, and match the colors in the component plug. That's an issue sometimes with new aftermarket harnesses. The plugs usually match up but sometimes the wires are installed in the wrong slots in the plugs.

Back