Wire wheel question.

katmol

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a 16" rim laced to my '75 XS650 hub. A good friend of mine. who is a great engine mechanic, did it for me. There is less clearance on the right side of the tire than the left side. My question is, is it possible he laced the rim off center just a little? Can that be done?

Thanks.

Yes, you can move the rim quite a bit left or right when lacing. Some times this is done to gain clearance or set the tire inline with the front.
On the XS650 the rim should be centered on the hub.
I don't have a 16 spoked rear to measure but I have a 18 spoked rear of my 75. It has the stock flanged alloy rim.
If you lay a straight edge on the hub were the brake plate goes so it hangs over the rim, mine measures 3/4 inch.
Flip it over and lay a straight edge on the sprocket it measures 2 3/16 inch.
Your16 rim may not be the same width as the alloy rim. My alloy rim is 2 3/4 inches wide. If your 16 inch rim is wider you will need to adjust those measurements. If you rim is say 3 1/2 inches wide, that's a difference of 3/4 inch. so you will need to subtract about half that from each measurement. 3/8 from the 3/4 is 3/8, 3/8 from the 2 3/16 is 1 15/16.
You get the idea.
Leo

On the rear, the rim is centered over the spoke flanges, not the complete hub. The hub sticks out a lot more on the sprocket side. The front rim is centered over the spoke flanges and on the hub. This is possible because the disc mounts stick out the same amount on both sides of the hub.

Back