Wiring 1977 pamco

Shifty2932

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Evryone,

It has been a long time since I visited the forum. Between moving, starting a new business, and adding another kiddo to the family. The bike has taken a back seat. It's been about a year since I last worked on it. Anyways.....fall of 2013 I tore the motor down to replace some gaskets and piston rings. Put it back together and did some basic wiring. And this is where it sat until now.

The motor is a 1977. It previously had points, but I just bought and installed the basic pamco high output ignition/Pam kit from Mike's XS. I am running the separate rectifier and regulator setup, have a 2 into 1 coil and going to run a capacitor as I have removed the battery and it is kicker only.

Now I have done some digging on the forum and online and I cannot seem to find a wiring diagram that is exactly the same as what I have going on. A point in the right direction on where I could find one or any help is greatly appreciated. With summer already here and to have not taken a ride since fall 2013....I am desperate need for a fix:bike::bike:.

I've wired the new ignition/charging parts up as I think they should be but the bike will not start. Could someone help with a diagram?? All I am really looking for is how to wire the PMA, pamco ignition, separate rectifier and regulator, with a capacitor. Oh and of course kicker only. no starter, but I do have a kill switch...aka key.

THANKS!

Last edited:
I may have overlooked, if not you will need a permanent magnetic alternator to run without a battery and capacitor.

Pamco Pete has always recommended in the past to hook the ignition up to a battery first and make sure it's working and then check the PMA for function. If the PMA overcharges it can damage the Pamco.

Grinder,

Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate a little bit on how to check the pamco and PMA for function or provide a link?

Last edited:
Shifty2932,

When you refer to a separate rectifier / regulator, I think that you may not be aware that a PMA uses a totally different combination regulator / rectifier. This would be shown by following grinders recommendation.

Pamco pete,

Thanks for reply. Yes I am in the dark with the new ignition/charging system I have. That was one of my questions. Can I use what I currently have? I was running the do it yourself 3 phase rectifier and the seperate 115 automotive regulator. You are saying that those units will not work with the PMA system. Does this mean I need to use the combined regulator/rectifier that came with the kit?
Thanks!

Update. So I have tested the pamco with a battery with this method. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/burlymugg/XS_pamcotest_2.jpg I have spark and the bike fires with the assistance of starting fluid. Just doesn't run. I have taken the carbs off, cleaned them and drained the gas.

I will be getting new spark plugs and new gas tonight and trying again tonight or tomorrow. I have also ditched the 3 phase rectifier and 115 automotive regulator and will run the combined regulator/rectifier.

If the motor runs with the pamco hooked up to a battery. What could be the issue with the new PMA and capacitor that I have.

On a PMA if the wiring isn't right, like a bad ground or something like that the reg/rec can go nuts and send 20+ voltage spikes into the rest of the system. Doing the testing with just the ignition hooked to a battery lets you prevent those possible spike getting to the ignition.
Wire up the PMA, reg/rec, cap, lighting. All that stuff, with just the ignition hooked to the battery, start the bike and check voltage on the cap at idle, around 2500 rpms, and at 5000 rpms. At idle you should get 12 to 13 volts. as you increase rpms voltage should smoothly climb to around 14 to 14.5 volts, and at higher rpms rise no further.
Sometimes reg/rec problems can show too high a voltage at higher rpms sometimes the voltage drops at higher rpms.
Some of these are caused by poor wiring. Maybe a bad reg/rec. Check the wiring first. A short to ground or another wire, bad grounds. Any ground has to be from clean bare metal to clean bare metal.
Leo

XSLeo,

Thanks for the reply. Running the ignition with the battery and the rest of the bike (head and tail light) with the PMA and capacitor makes a lot of sense. I will set this up and give it a try to see what's going on before I hook everything up together.

Thanks again for your assistance and knowledge. Oh and thanks for carb reference guide. That could come in handy in a pinch.

Update......

Well still no start :confused:

Fresh gas, new plugs And there is gas in the bowls, I still have spark at the plugs. I got the same results as I did yesterday. Pops and coughs while trying to kick it over and only got that with the assistance of starting fluid. I still have the pamco hooked up per the link in my previous post.

Am I missing something? Do I need to take the carbs apart further and clean them out yet again?

Is there a certain ohm my coil should be with running the pamco? I am using an Andrews red 2.8 supervolt 12v coil.

That coil should be fine, others are using it. The Pamco requires a coil with 2.5 to 4.5 ohms rating, I'm pretty sure on that. You can check Pete's website to be sure.
On the carbs, as someone new to the carbs it often takes several times to get everything clean. The carb guide will help on this.
Once you have done the carb cleaning several times it will go much quicker when they need it again. You'll know all the tricky places.
Leo

Back