Wiring Diagram - Kick only, PMA, Pamco 277

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
20130226-222917.jpg

Well, looks OK to me except for the brown wire from the reg / rect. The PMA uses a different reg / rect than the stock alternator. Some PMA regulators do use a separate "sense" wire, but does yours?

You might also want a switch to turn the headlight off when starting. The easiest way to do that is to use a three position switch with a center off position. ( Hi / Off / Lo)

This is a 3 phase regulator for a magneto setup off some chinese scooter or something from Ebay. It is a black wire and should be the voltage sensing one.

If you look closer I have 2 switches in series for the lights. One to turn the system on and another to toggle hi/lo. I don't even have a dual filament bulb for my headlight so it doesn't even matter. Who needs to see in the dark anyway?

Coastside...,

OK. When you first start it up, have a voltmeter already connected to the battery and watch for a high voltage, like, greater than 16 Volts and shut it down immediately if that happens.

If that happens I have the wrong regulator?

1. No output.
2. High output.
3. Output OK but regulator does not last long.

#1 will leave you stranded because you will be running on just the battery with no charging current from the PMA.
#2 will boil the battery and fry the electrics, most likely the PAMCO. Wear safety glasses when you first start it up.
#3 will happen if the regulator is not rated for the watts from the PMA.

Back