Wiring for 81 hardtail

There are simplified wiring diagrams around on the site. What exactly are you going to be running? Be specific and maybe I can help.

Sorry, I've been working on the engine. I have a 81 stock and I'm not worried about the lights, I just want to fire it up for a couple of minutes to see what I have. Just wiring to crank. I have every thing set up from a wiring diagram except I don't know what an ignition pick up is on the 81. I know where it would be if it had points

Can you post a pic or link to the diagram you used? And is it a stock or custom wiring harness?

You said you just have the ignition pickup left, so you already have a regulator/rectifier/tci box/starter solenoid in the system?

If you are talking about the pickup on the ALT. that is what gives you the spark for the TCI. I assume you are running the black box stock on a 1981 and if so all you need to do is hookup the wires for the TCi and coil add 12volts and bike will have spark. You have two plugs from ALT. one goes to REG/REC and the smaller one goes to the TCI.
This is a basic diagram for 1981

Attachments

• 1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    1981simplifiedwiring.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 902
Here's a pic of an 80 up stator with the pickup mounted on it. The black oval. Upper right.
Leo

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 241
Back