Wiring for signals

Lance Weersma

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good evening gents. Thanks to all of your help I have gotten my 72' on the road for the first time in 30 years!

My newest issue is getting my signals working. So there are a couple things to consider. The previous owner had the signals removed so I am not sure if I have them hooked up right. Also I have shortened them by 2" and then mounted them in a different locations.

So please walk me through this like I am a 10 year old as I am not good with wiring.

So to get the conversation started.
1.) I have only one wire coming out of my lights which would be the power. Is that right or should there be a ground too?
2.) Also I have the lights mounted to the frame. Self grounded. Is that an issue?
3.) I also have these unused connections on the frame near the rear brake switch. Are these related?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 97
Lance, I'm not good at untangling rats nests on a forum.
All I can do right now is throw some salt on the wounds.

So, let's start with a colorized XS2 wiring diagram:
XS2-TX650-WiringColor.jpg

The XS1B uses the same turnsignal system, so its uncluttered diagram may be easier to follow:
XS1B-WiringColor.jpg

Lastly, here's a manual excerpt that explains the turnsignal relay:
71-XS1B-TurnSignals.jpg

To answer your question about grounds for the 4 flashers, the original bikes used a 2--wire setup for each indicator, a colored wire to supply flash power, and a black wire for ground return into the harness. If you can get a good/solid ground for the indicators to the frame, that's okay.

Does it burn yet?

Thank you for the info. I have the wiring diagram in the manual. Mine is B&W so the color does help. Glad to hear that I don't need a ground if it is secured to the frame. When I provide direct power to the lights they light up great.
So, Does anyone have the ability to take a picture of this relay? Where is it.? This way I can see if it is on my bike or has it been removed for some reason.

Thanks for all the help.

Just in case, ido need a rear fender in case you would like to sell yours.

Thanks
I would be happy to what's a fair price for a rear fender?

Also when I explored my fender I found now relay. Must have been taken out by PO. What other options do I have?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 90
Back