1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Wiring Harness vs. From Scratch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aspookytree, Oct 13, 2021.

1. aspookytree

aspookytree XS650 Member

Hey guys,

I'm getting so close I can taste it on my 80 xs650g special ii rebuild. But I'm at the wiring stage. I've eliminated the starter, installed the pma kit and new ignition, and have leds. I do have the flasher relays for the leds. But I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to use the new stock wiring harness and make modifications, or if I'd be better off to start from scratch. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wales
    If you have a clean and reliable harness then many would recommend using that. My bike has a butchered Frankenstein loom, which I’m not comfortable with. I am going to totally rewire with Motogadget kit. Not everyone agrees with that here, but it’s my choice. A good clean standard loom that has lasted 30 - 40 years will continue to deliver reliably if looked after.

3. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    If your using the stock lights and turn signals and horn etc. I would use the factory stock harness. It`s much easier to plug n a play than it is to make a new harness. At least all the wires will be there incase you need them in the future, especially when you realize the elect starter might have to go back on.:yikes: Just my :twocents:. Good luck with your build.:thumbsup:

Adamc likes this.
  4. aspookytree

aspookytree XS650 Member

I'm not stock at all. I have a battery delete, led lights (all), and I removed the starter motor.

Adamc likes this.
  5. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Rethink using LED's with a PMA. Need to use the power of else the Reg/Rect has to dissipate the heat and that can cause burnouts with some types of SS Reg/rectiers

Adamc likes this.
  6. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Adamc likes this.