Wiring Help

Carter5450

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, just went up to KS this last weekend and bought my first 650, actually I got two, a 72 that supposedly ran when parked and an 80 with no title thats just a parts bike. I know there are a TON of posts about wiring but most of them are a little over my head, I'm still working on reading the diagrams on here, but I'm new to the XS650 as well as using these forums.

The guy had a new wiring harness with the bike that was in a box with no part number and it doesn't appear to the right one. So what I'm looking for is the absolute most basic wiring I can do just to try and start the motor, and after that I'll do the wiring up the right way.

I really appreciate any help in advance, can't wait to get her on the road.

Welcome to the forum!!
Before you do anything to the bike, I'd strongly suggest you read this. A proper wake up drill is important so as to not make things worse.

We love pics. :D Put some picks of the bike up here and give us a little background on yourself so we get an idea of your experience level. People here are friendly and helpful. Knowing how much you know helps us help you... ;)

I'll have to work on getting some pics put up, I don't have that many of it right now since I just got it Saturday,

Like I said above I'm new to the XS650's but it has been a dream of mine to own one forever, I consider myself pretty handy with a wrench, I've been riding and working on bikes for the past 25 years, but almost exclusively on dirt bikes, so that is where i'm pretty fuzzy on the wiring, all of my other bikes are VERY simple on the wiring side eg; mag and coil (thats it lol)

I've been searching high and low on here looking at wiring diagrams, I just know my patients (or lack there of) is getting the best of me, I really just want to hear it bust off once, and then I'll calm down and actually get to studying and understanding the electrical on these

my long term goals for the 72 is to do a big bore kit, electronic ignition, and the PMA kit

a brief explanation on the pics in this reply:
the two pics with the tank and seat on are when I picked it up, the two with the tank and seat off, are at my dads shop yesterday while crying of the spliced up mess of a wiring harness and the last one is just a photo I found on the internet of what I would like mine to end up looking like (I have no idea who's bike it is or anything about it)
IMG_0739.PNG
IMG_0740.PNG
IMG_0746.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0745.JPG

I think you better check your frame and motor numbers. The bike in your pics does not look like a 72 frame or motor.

OK..... so here's the tells..... Lt green arrow points to short doubler tubes on front downtubes.... indicates 72...ish. Rt green points to rear frame peg mounts. Again... indicates 72...ish I'd guess it's a 72.... Motor could also be 72. Lt red arrow points to two coils and rt points to wire coming from left points cover. So yeah... prolly a 72 with original points. Mags, right engine cover (oil sight gauge), indicators, seat.... prolly other stuff are off the newer parts bike.

IMG_0746.jpg

OK..... so here's the tells..... Lt green arrow points to short doubler tubes on front downtubes.... indicates 72...ish. Rt green points to rear frame peg mounts. Again... indicates 72...ish I'd guess it's a 72.... Motor could also be 72. Lt red arrow points to two coils and rt points to wire coming from left points cover. So yeah... prolly a 72 with original points. Mags, right engine cover (oil sight gauge), indicators, seat.... prolly other stuff are off the newer parts bike.
View attachment 134917
Not saying you are wrong Jim but I would still check frame and engine numbers.
Front brake rotor and forks newer, clutch cover newer, missing decompressor, swingarm newer, chain guard newer, gauges, headlight and ears newer, and kick stand wrong. It does look like the correct rear fender mounts though. Maybe someone put a lot of newer parts on a 72.

+1 with what Jim says...........

Wheels and front end, headlight, gauges and handle bars are from an 81 Special, (only year to have drum brake mag wheels), the drum mags are a direct bolt onto the Spoke wheel bikes........

.The 35mm front forks for a 74-83 frame have a longer steering stem on the triple tree. Can be married to a 72 frame but that usually requires swapping the stems from the trees to suit the year of the frame.............can't quite tell from the pics but it looks like the stem may not have been swapped and spacers may have been used to compensate for the longer 35mm fork stem........needs to be investigated for safety purposes to make sure it's safe.

Has an oil sight glass on the right engine cover, (81 was the first year for that), and no compression release on the 4 stud Tappet cover..........i think the 81 engine has been put in the 72 frame, the points from the 72 may have been swapped into the motor as Jim points out

Has an oil sight glass on the right engine cover, (81 was the first year for that), and no compression release on the 4 stud Tappet cover..........i think the 81 engine has been put in the 72 frame, the points from the 72 may have been swapped into the motor as Jim points out
Could very well be. Could also be original motor with decompress deleted (wasn't needed anyway) and newer clutch cover (sight gauge) installed. At least I think those clutch covers will swap? Doug?

Only way to know for sure is run the numbers.....

On the pic I put arrows on... that a 32 bucket in the background?

I like this diagram. It shows a basic points ignition and separate reg and rec. In boxes that you just swap around you can use it for the later TCI and combo reg/rec.
Electric starter in upper right corner.
This will work with both your bikes. On the points bike just hook up wires from battery to a switch, from switch to coils, from coils to points. Just as the diagram shows.
With the later TCI, run the wires to both the coils and TCI box. Again just as the diagram shows.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 160
It’s got the 80 wheels on it, I did run the numbers on the frame and motor it checks out as a 72
If you happen to have the original parts that were on the bike I would be more than happy to drive to your place and get them out of your way. Wouldn't even charge you for gas.:rolleyes:

Nite picking and your bike will be registered as a 72........But an those wheels are not from an 80...........production dates are not reflective of model......81H/SH was made from Aug 80 to July 81

81SH............Rear wheel has Drum brake
81SH Silver.jpg BenS 81 650 Speciaql 1.jpg

80SG...........rear wheel has disk brake
80SG normal_yamaha_sport_fairinXSjohn.jpg Yamaha XS650SP 80.jpg 1980-Yamaxa-XS650-Special.jpg

To be honest if you have the 81 motor and the 72 motor has to have a rebuild then the 81 will be cheaper and easier to get parts for.

72 is, "commonly", called a 256 engine and these engines from, (70-73) have different internals to the 447 engine, (74-83), these are cheaper to rebuild and parts are easier to come by

If you happen to have the original parts that were on the bike I would be more than happy to drive to your place and get them out of your way. Wouldn't even charge you for gas.:rolleyes:

Well to be honest I want to put the spoke wheels back on the 72 from the parts bike, and the motor on the parts bike I have big plans for, and I haven’t done all the research on it, but there’s some guys over in Europe that have an 880cc kit that I’d like to do, but again I need to do the research and see if it is an actual option I don’t know if the Europe bikes are that much different that the kit will work

Back