Wiring Pamco and ignition coil

eman13261

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the basic pamco high output ignition set, part # 14-0911. I've been off at college and haven't had the chance to install it and just hooked everything up to see what it's going to be like however i'm having issue (not the best at electrical work)

I followed the instructions for wiring the plate up to the dual ignition coil (removed the points, condenser, all that good stuff). However i'm left with 2 grey and 2 orange wires that lead into the wiring harness and i'm not sure where they go to, i'm assuming i'll have to tear apart the harness to get them out or can I just tape them off?

On a side note everything is wired, grounds and all but when I turn my key I get nothing, no neutral light or anything and yes the battery is charged everything was working a day ago. Could this be because those 2 grey and orange wires are still plugged in somewhere?

Pics below of my wiring from the plate to coil and the wires in question, Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20141216_160827.jpg
    20141216_160827.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 20141216_160651.jpg
    20141216_160651.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 406
The orange and gray wires would come from your old coils and go to your points and condensers so you don't need them. Did you check your main fuse? Maybe it blew when you were wiring things up.

I know they went to the old coils but once they go into the harness where do they lead to? My points and condensers are off already and they're just hanging out of the harness

They shouldn't really go anywhere, they just go between the coils,points and condensers. They might be wrapped up in the harness but don't go anywhere else. Did you check your main fuse under the right side cover? There should have been a red/white going to the other side of the coils which would be used to power the new system. The red/white would come from your kill switch.

Last edited:
Ahh okay now I get it. I haven't checked fuses yet, I don't know why nothing electronic is working its my like I muscled it around. Anything else I should check? I've cleaned all the grounds and the wires all look good

On a 75 with stock wiring harness there is only one main fuse under the right side cover near the battery. That would be the first thing to check. Check both the positive and negative connections at the battery. If everything worked before there is a chance that something got accidentally shorted/grounded and blew the fuse. As I said there is only one so any short in the system would blow that fuse.

Alright thanks! If it's not the fuse what do you think would be the next thing to check? Like I said I'm not the best with electrical work

If everything worked before you started with the Pamco install, you have to look in that area and make sure nothing got unplugged.

Just an update fuse wasnt blown. I removed it and put it back in and it worked

OK. Do you mean that everything now works? In any event, I would replace the fuse because the actual fuse element could be loose and is making intermittent contact.

Not only replace the fuse, but replace the fuse holder. Those old round glass fuses are crap, were new and not any better now.
They sell inline fuse holders that use the new style blade fuses. A much better set up.
Leo

Yeah i'm going to replace the fuse and get a new holder. The lights, neutral/highbeam light, signals and brake lights all work now those are what were not working. The new ignition is wired up now i'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Back