Wiring woes...could use some help (76C)

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
After looking over and over at the factory wiring schematic, I am still left puzzled.
Here are my problems;

I feel there are:
too many shades of brown wires, brown and chocolate are named in the manual, but I swear mine have greater than only 2 shades.
too many shades of green wires - schematic shows green and dark green, but I swear mine have greater than only 2 shades.
I have a "sky blue" or light blue wire coming out of my right side handlebar switch, that doesn't have a female match, or not at least one of the same color.

Is there someplace I can go to, to see what color wires each primary and smaller harnesses are to contain? if so, then I could determine with greater certainty, the difference between dark green, and green, between brown, light brown, and chocolate, etc..

My concerns involve the 7 harnesses that lead to the wiring in the headlight bucket.

2 - 1 harness from each side of the handlebars
2 - 1 harness from speedo, 1 from tach
1 - from key cluster
1 main from right side of frame
1 main from lest side of frame

I assume someone has been down this road before, if so, I am hoping to be able to turn the lights on when traveling down the same road.

thanks.

Last edited:
My best guess is that if the wiring is original, the colors have faded. That light blue out of your right switch assembly for instance was probably a darker blue originally and would be coming out of the headlight on-off switch. It is for the tail light. You may have to resort to testing wires with a meter to see where they go. Unfortunately, the '76C model appears not to have a wiring diagram available for it, at least not that I've run across yet.

This one's in the Tech section. Iirc Skull just updated it this spring.

d 75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring and Key Updated 3a.jpg

This one's in the Tech section. Iirc Skull just updated it this spring.

View attachment 156736
Jim I was just looking at that wiring diagram to try and sort out why my horn will just come on it's own (also works via the switch)
At the switch I see a purple and a ground to earth symbol? Grounding to the handle bars?
But when I go down to the horn I see a purple and Br
it looks like at the horn it is using the brown as it's ground?
I need to blow that diagram up and have it laminated That is a good simplified diagram ( Thanks Iirc Skull) I'm just a slow learner

No, one side of the horn is hot all the time powered by the brown wire. The horn switch grounds the other side to the handle bar. I'm thinking the wire from the horn to the horn switch should be pink IIRC. A short to ground in the pink wire will sound the horn.

No, one side of the horn is hot all the time powered by the brown wire. The horn switch grounds the other side to the handle bar. I'm thinking the wire from the horn to the horn switch should be pink IIRC. A short to ground in the pink wire will sound the horn.
Thanks for the info ! Makes sense now

Back