Without stating your age: How old are you?

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'll start: I'm 5 digit phone numbers and party lines old.
Don't worry it's not a one-up or who's oldest thing, just interesting to see how different the world looks, is remembered for different folks. "where we are coming from"

Last edited:
When Apollo 11 splashed down I was in 1st grade watching it happen in the school class room on a black and white tv
:thumbsup:
c067fe8208b8257d61cf23ffa047000d.jpg

USA !

I owned a pair of Beatle boots in 5th grade,
056B1B6C-8B2B-418B-9533-168E408E4955.jpeg

and rode a sting ray bicycle with ape hangers, a banana seat and a stick gear shifter , it was electric green! I thought I was hot stuff, you should’ve seen me wheelie! :laugh2:
BC79BB7C-5E3C-4254-8F7F-B4CAB7CFAB3B.jpeg

The first TV show that I remember was the Eisenhower inauguration and the Pinky Lee show. By the time the Stingray series bikes came along I was old enough for my first car. (not old enough to legally drive it though) but I did have a 58 Schwinn Corvette that`s still hanging in pieces on the wall of my basement. Beatle Boots?? Still got a new pair in my size just in case the fad comes back.:thumbsup: Too bad their not Desert Boots.:(
cool stuff 005.JPG
upload_2020-2-26_10-21-37.jpeg

I thought our phone # had 6 numbers as in BL1234? party line
Born in a basement house (now would be called earth sheltered home :laugh:)complete with outhouse in a town of 7,000 plus people

Jim that really brings back memories. I flew from Shitburg (Topeka) to El Paso for basic training on a Lockheed Constellation. My first time in a airplane. I still have my "orders" and airline ticket from that day.:thumbsup:

Pot belly wood stove... heat....cook….( I know how long it takes to cut a cord of wood ) one stall " facility " about 30 yards out the back door..( dang cold in central Oregon )… at school...each roll of desk was a different year...

Our first phone # was 39028. It was a 2 party line and ours was 1 ring. Tom & Neva Martin were the other party with 2 rings. This was in 1953. When they all became single party lines it changed to Central (CE39028) then to Wyman (WY35033) then the prefix was dropped and it was 3795033 then area codes came along and it was 785 379-5033. I dropped the land line in Jan of last year because of too many Robot calls. Don`t miss it a bit.:thumbsup:

When I was a kid, my family went for long drives most Sundays, they were new to Arizona and wanted to see it all.
These canvas water bags were ubiquitous all over Arizona, hanging off the front bumpers or grills. Back in those days , cars overheated easier and it was often a long ways between towns, let alone a gas station.
73470247-E207-4964-890B-F14A86BF8157.jpeg
06C227DA-739E-402C-98AD-3167CA42A68F.jpeg

XS650 Guy mentioned 8 track player. My first new car was a 1965 Impala (Red, black interior & ET mags). I installed a Muntz under dash open top 4 track player. Only had 2 tapes, Smothers Brothers and Beach Boys. My parents had to sign for the car because I wasn`t old enough. When my dad noticed I had cut 4 holes in the lower door panels for the speakers it was "Game Over" :yikes:.

When you pulled into a gas station you heard Ding Ding! And a man in uniform came running out to take care of you.
View attachment 160683
:D
I was one of those men boys attendants that came a runnin' when I heard that Ding ding.
"fill 'er up sir? Check your oil?"

Back