Without stating your age: How old are you?

I remember my dad using the bottles
20200623_113847.jpg
(tools from my father in laws garage.)

But I was modern and used one of these.
spout.jpg

I'm old enough to know what one of these is

View attachment 170591
I have a yellow one just an arms reach from where I'm sitting but a few months back when I wanted to copy into Mp3 files some 45's I just chucked a piece of aluminum barstock in the antique lathe and made an adapter out of that to save transferring that little plastic piece between records. Yea I do have the adapter that works in the changer but that is a pain when wanting to copy one side and then flip over to the other side.
adapter.JPG

Changing the flags in school from 48 to 50 stars. Now that was a big deal!
john
I remember the big parade in town when they added Alaska as the 49th. See a local guy was the main person to convince the US to buy that Ice Box from Russia. He got a lot of grief back in the day because of that wonder who's laughing now?

And a little side note this same guy was stabbed the same night Abe made the mistake of stopping at the theater to watch a play. But I doubt anyone except some major history buffs know about that one. Walked past his house many time when going from grandma's house to down town as a kid with my mom!

18 cents a gallon
15 cent cheeseburger
Coke came in bottles, Cragmont came in cans.
$1 six packs (beer)
The deposit was more than the beer in a pony keg , $20
$10 Lids (if I have to explain...)
Rotary phone , on a party line with local long distance to anything 20 or more miles away. Huge hue and cry when we had to add a nickel to the dime at a pay-phone.
110 , not 115 or 117, 120V lines with non indexed TWO conductor outlets. Knob & tube with glass fuses...
All Yamahas were two strokes under 125cc
All motorcycle brakes were drum brakes.
Radial tires?
There was an adapter to change a small block Chevrolet from canister to spin on filter. The toilet paper filter was a thing.
Interstate 5 was still a bulldozer
You could buy a mini bike from Heathkit.
Scott, Gordon, John, Gus, Wally, Allan, and Deke who??
The Dash 80 had just become the Boeing 707
John, Paul, George and Ringo who ?
Richard Nixon was Ike's vice president

18 cents a gallon
The Dash 80 had just become the Boeing 707

I think somewhere in the old stuff mom saved there is a copy of the "Weekly Reader" from grade school that had a cover article about the "new" 707 airplane!

Really need to go through all that old stuff. Probably should toss out the "report cards" from grade school that some teachers wrote not so nice things on! Would not want grandson to see them!

Probably should toss out the "report cards" from grade school that some teachers wrote not so nice things on! Would not want grandson to see them!
Since I became such a huge success (at least, in my own mind), that would not matter to me one bit. My old report cards are full of those unflattering remarks. To the contrary, I think my resume looks pretty impressive.

I started working as a kid at McDonalds when their slogan was ....”change back from your dollar at McDonalds” (burger, chips and a drink = 85 cents) before they introduced the Big Mac.

....and back then girls at Burger King would let you “have it your way”.

when i was about 13/14 a friends father owed a garage...........he bought a new technological device for spark-plugs........put the spark end of the plug in it and pushed a button and the electrode was sandblasted and the plug could be tested as well.........Set the gap and reuse..........didn't throw things away in those days, ........................unless you were one of those garages that reused stuff and charged for replacing it.

Some garage mechanics carried a shitty sparks plug in their tool box to show complaining customers that the plugs were worn and they had to be replaced.........

When I was a kid, maybe about five, me Mum used to let me go to the corner shop with an old petrol tin to buy a gallon of Aladdin Pink paraffin (kerosene) for the kitchen heater. Cost me 2/6d. That's two shillings and sixpence, aka half a crown. Most young folk in Britain take on a bemused expression when you talk old money to 'em.

Was so little, could just about carry the full gallon tin. Now, no kid in Britain would be allowed out to a shop on their own at that age. And certainly, no shop now would even think of selling an inflammable liquid to a child under, I dunno, thirty? Provided they have proof of age. And maybe Police authentication they're not an arsonist/terrorist. Changed days . . .

Back