Without stating your age: How old are you?

AstroBoy.jpg
250px-Time4Beany_promo_card.jpg

Astro Boy and Beanie & Cecil were a couple of the cartoons of my youth, but none of the friends my age seem to remember them.

Wow Jim! I think everybody who shoots had (or has) one of those little rifles! I sold mine to a friend for dirt cheap. I bought a BRNO bolt-action because I wanted something more accurate (Oh, yeah!). It looks like somebody shrunk a Mauser in the wash... :hijack: ...sorry.

I got my first Erector set for my 4th birthday. Wish I still had it.:( I do however still have the little white scar on the 3rd finger of my left hand from sticking it in between the gears on the motor.:shrug: Still got the Gilbert Chemistry set and Microscope set though. The Gilbert Halls of Science you know.:thumbsup:
View attachment 160704 View attachment 160705
Brother got the Gilbert Chemistry set and that electric motor that got Halfmile looks like the one I had in my erector set! Also had Kenner Bridge and Turnpike Building Set.

Also had a good bunch of Match Box cars. I had one advantage to playing with them. The basement under our house was hand dug after the house was built and only half half the size of the house. So I had a five foot tall dirt way down there to use to carve out roadways on, kid of a vertical sand box inside so on a rainy day I could still work on my roads.

I bought a Ruger standard 22 pistol at Shoppers City Department Store when I was 15. The only thing the sales person said was use it carefully. You could order a new shot gun from Wards, Penney`s or Sears and have it delivered C.O.D. no questions ask.:shootme:

Wow, gggGary! You've really struck a chord with this one! Everyone seems to have vivid memories around the same time frame (late '50's-early '60's), some a little older.... Is it possible we really are a bunch of old farts? :doh:

I don`t mind getting (being) old but "growing up" scares the Hell out of me.:yikes:
On a side note 5 hrs ago when I first saw this thread I was going to do something important. Now I can`t remember what that was and it`s probably too late anyway. Thanks gggGary.:D

Last edited:
Remember Kmarts "blue light specials?" First rifle I bought... Marlin Mod. 60 22LR, 3X Tasco scope and a brick of 100 rounds. Blue light special... $29.95 for the whole package
Yes ! that Marlin pissed off my buddy who shot a bolt action. Because I could shoot the cans so fast they went up the hill lol
:D

I was one of those men boys attendants that came a runnin' when I heard that Ding ding.
"fill 'er up sir? Check your oil?"
Me too. $1.25 an hour, regular was 47.9 a gallon. Standard Oil service station. To this day I hate the ding-ding sound of those bells.

Heaven help you if you forgot the Green Stamps or the Mobile glassware. Not to mention forgetting to bring the dispenser in at at closing.
The Enco station next door was twenty four hours and I would go over there to hang out after closing at 10 PM. It had been open continuously since it was built and they had to call a locksmith to install a lock on the front door when Nixon closed the filling stations on Sundays. Remember WIN, whip inflation now? Ya I'm a geezer.

Back