WJL AKA Wrenchjohns Legacy 70 XS1 in gggGary's hands

So after installing the tytronic I got about 30 minutes of service then it started missing while running slowly through Devils Lake State Park, quickly got worse till I had one last pop then nothing, Roadside tank off, electric open for inspection, nothing obvious. I could get no spark either side. After bumming a ride home and picking the bike up with the Prius and trailer, working in the shop, lots of thrashing, parts swapping, spark coming and going. One side would run on the Tytronic in the shop but not the other, Confirmed tytronic wires were all fine so the senders apparently were not liking something. Had the Tytronic with the stock coils and no condensers.
Finally went back to points, and running good. (for points) Have to think on the best way forward overnight. Still have an all in one Pamco with e advance sitting here.
Yes @Mailman I feel like a shop monkey.
Just what I thought. No problem for you to figure it out.:thumbsup:
How many times is the last thing you did the next problem.:shootme:

Tytronics is going to warranty the unit...:) :thumbsup:

ok I will sent you a new one.

Subject: Re: tytronic unit failed.

I tested the coils they are both at 3.9 ohms.
G

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020, 7:57 AM Tytronic wrote:
You can test the two ignition coil exchange once again, if is still didn't work side igniter does not work, then the igniter is damaged, if you don't work into the other side of the ignition, the ignition coil is broken, the ignition coil minor damage on the original points ignition is to continue to work, but can't work on electric igniter, because electronic igniter internal automatic current protection circuit. Please test it again and let me know.
Tytronics

To: "Tytronic"
Subject: tytronic unit failed.

I just installed this new in the box unit in my Yamaha XS650. The motor was running well on the points ignition with stock coils. After installing your unit the motorcycle ran great for about 30 minutes, then slowly the ignition became erratic and and the motor quit. After trouble shooting, one side of the tytronic sender is no longer working. I put the points ignition back in and the motor runs.

Gary

Last edited:
Points it is, static and live timed both sides. Now to start winnowing and sifting (packing) for the trip.
1 T-shirt /underwear per day
1 pair blue jeans / shorts for the whole trip and sunscreen and maybe a pair of sandals
I almost forgot the magic plastic credit card and or cash

It’s good to see they are going to stand behind their product. Where do you buy Tytronic ignitions?

Edit: I found one available on EBay.
Billy icon bought like 10 direct got a nice price break, I bought (just one) direct also.
http://www.tytronic.com/tytronic/products/7797124.html
$110 shipped.
Haven't really heard any feedback from the guyz that bought from billy but that's kind of a thing round these here parts, GLJ excepted!

Ya know Gary, It just occurred to me that (I'm sure) you've got some TCI stators and boxes laying 'round... and I know you've got a rewound TCI rotor. Just sayin'.... :whistle:

Ya know Gary, It just occurred to me that (I'm sure) you've got some TCI stators and boxes laying 'round... and I know you've got a rewound TCI rotor. Just sayin'.... :whistle:
:laugh::laugh:
Jim I think that rotor is in a bike already. WJL is running really well on points today. Funny how they react to knuckling down and doing a good timing job on them...:wink2: Getting a working advance with proper range was a biggy also.
'sides I'm a waiting on the master's sayso that the juju boxes are ready for prime time.

'sides I'm a waiting on the master's sayso that the juju boxes are ready for prime time.
JuJu.... heh... I'ma steal that.... see my signature. :rolleyes:
If'n my foot was willin', I'm satisfied the SG with the "JuJu" iggy would make the trip with no problem. For a direct conversion from TCI, it looks pretty solid. The only unknowns are the reliability of a 20 bucks made in china box. But for 20 bucks a pop... carry a spare or two. :smoke:

Last edited:
Centerstand was reworked. Way it was.
20200602_095724-jpg.168779

centerstand.jpg

Cut/ground away the outer corners of the ground pad, used the oxy acetylene torch to reshape the foot tang, should be out of the way now.
Nearing final configuration for the trip, may change/move those rear turn signals yet.
20200723_064905.jpg

Last edited:
OK - my very snazz seat cushion arrived yesterday and despite being used, it is in mint condition.
343785BA-7FC4-47E9-8992-D92AEF61AB28.jpeg

BUT in addition to the seat cushion is this odd little assembly - the purpose of which is completely unclear to me.
E01C4DD8-0E01-4475-BF15-A4829907EB15.jpeg

Any idea of what the heck this thing is?

OK - my very snazz seat cushion arrived yesterday and despite being used, it is in mint condition.
View attachment 172428

BUT in addition to the seat cushion is this odd little assembly - the purpose of which is completely unclear to me.
View attachment 172429
Any idea of what the heck this thing is?
Thats pretty odd..none of that hardware is related to the seat pad...I used an ATV seat pad on my 1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ1100. Initially it felt good but it turned out that the longer I sat on it the more uncomfortable I became...to the point of becoming sore in the low back and ofc i felt like I had hemrroids(i didnt).. Well Pete I hope you have better results than I have had..good luck...

Back