WJL AKA Wrenchjohns Legacy 70 XS1 in gggGary's hands

Did some maint. checking and clean up. Lubing cables and pivots, adjust clutch etc. Battery vent tube was MIA, replaced, Schraeder valve wasn't tight, hopefully that was the rear tire leak. Really wanted to take it for a 90 mile round trip planned for today but sanity prevailed and madness got the nod.
Got some of the head studs done but need to remove the tank, head bracket and get at everything, check, set valves maybe change to late model valve covers and gggGary's o-rings.

More eye Candy.
20191008_115217.jpg

Jim; note diff of single vs double wall head pipes.

Last edited:
Did some maint. checking and clean up. Lubing cables and pivots, adjust clutch etc. Battery vent tube was MIA, replaced, Schraeder valve wasn't tight, hopefully that was the rear tire leak. Really wanted to take it for a 90 mile round trip planned for today but sanity prevailed and madness got the nod.
More eye Candy.
View attachment 151436
Jim; note diff of single vs double wall head pipes.

That sure is a pretty bike! Are you saying that one header is OEM and the other is a single wall replacement?

That sure is a pretty bike! Are you saying that one header is OEM and the other is a single wall replacement?

Both were mikes single wall but mikes sells two different head pipes, the set on there wouldn't allow the OE style muffler to bolt up so I changed to a factory header. Will prolly change other side to match.

I had heard that XS650 had reputation for low oil leakage due to horizontal case. I found one and bought it, brought it home, the wife was pissed, she got over it and for a time actually tried to learn to ride without success. The XS was the most dependable bike of the group of friends that rode together. Pretty much how it went.
john

Set valves to 3 and 6. It runs quiet. (still). Serial # about 5500 ie late 70, pulled compression; 141, 147 runs out good but think I need to go through the carbs yet, idle/ low speed could be better. Likes to hiccup at lower RPM, idle mix were at one turn out went to 2 out for a crude lean rich check, that was better but not consistent. Timing is retarded, even at adjustment limit, so the chain is stretched and or guide worn. Not quite done there will try to adjust points gap to help me get timing closer, putting in a pamco is tempting. I still have a couple, Lots to do yet but did get in 25 miles yesterday. Plugs looked pretty good, RH a bit sooty. RH petcock would not shut off. So far all just normal XS maint stuff. Rear tire seems to be holding pressure now.
Reviewed twomany's excellent early carb throttle shaft bushing/seal thread, likely that will be needed.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/1971-xs1b-bs38-carbs-throttle-shaft-bushings.43326/
Posts #148 to #151.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/bs-ser...done-em-who-needs-to.11980/page-8#post-434227

Have you checked those coils? I had those same light grey coils like yours and one of mine didn’t test out well.
I was going to buy new ones, then scrapped that idea and went with an all new electronic ignition.

A wise man once said,

"Never underestimate the ignitions ability to fool you into blaming the carbs."

Elbow deep in carbs like 2m n da mailman sez outboard seal is odd on these, going with a plastic washer to improve slightly worn bore/ butterfly alignment. Think bushings are serviceable on this set. Needles are worn at slide will find, use better ones. Have an idea about that.... Going to return to stock jets since stock type mufflers are back on bike.
1571150499325175142172.jpg

Last edited:
One side done. Just used a "bs34 shim washer" above the circlip on the needle. That way the spring and plastic spacer hold the needle stable without locking it in place. These carbs were in good shape, clean. Just a bit of green gas goo from sitting. Changed float needle and seat for new, set float height to match. Stock main and pilot went in.
1571166523859-681884009.jpg

Lick and a promise on the outside. Now time to do the other carb.

Nice! You even got your butterfly screws out without mangling them. Where’s the fun in that! :D
Removed with genaric ph2 bit.....:sneaky:

Oops, second diaphragm has a tear. Good and bad, smoking gun for off idle hiccup, stole a piston from a "spare" carb set.

Back